Nocturnally roving weird, purple jellydots

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Weird
In summary, the conversation discusses the Troxler effect or Troxler fading, also known as Selective Peripheral Fading, where focusing on a single point can cause surrounding objects to fade in perception. It is believed to be caused by the eyes not moving, allowing certain nerves to rest and the brain to construct the image. The conversation also mentions hyperphysics and the concepts of "rods and cones" in relation to this effect. Some participants found the experience to be cool or interesting, while others were unable to see the green dot mentioned.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Physics news on Phys.org
Whoaaa! Duuuuude! Ya shoulda, like warned people who are on acid not to go there, man.

Ok that's pretty crazy... Can anyone explain to me what in the hell is going on?

matthyaouw said:
Ok that's pretty crazy... Can anyone explain to me what in the hell is going on?
I think it's because you aren't moving your eyes. Your eyes usually move around slightly so some nerves can rest and/or your brain can construct the image. But I could be wrong. I'll ask my magic 8 ball.

It's called the Troxler effect or Troxler fading or Selective Peripheral Fading.
http://cognet.mit.edu/posters/TUCSON3/Lou.html
http://www.troxlerforum.ch/
I couldn't find much on it quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
what does that have to do with purple roving nocturnal jelly--- oh, jellydots! gotcha :wink:

Actually, there is no green spot, just blank gray.

That is true.

Also, try hyperphysics for "rods and cones".

Hey, I've never seen that one before! Very cool.

If you move your eyes in a circle following the dots, you cannot see the "green" dot, they all remain "pink" (they look closer to pink than purple)

What are "Nocturnally roving weird, purple jellydots"?

"Nocturnally roving weird, purple jellydots" are a type of marine organism that are characterized by their purple color and ability to move and hunt at night.

Where can "Nocturnally roving weird, purple jellydots" be found?

Nocturnally roving weird, purple jellydots can be found in the deep ocean, typically at depths of 500 meters or more.

What do "Nocturnally roving weird, purple jellydots" eat?

These organisms primarily feed on small plankton and other microscopic organisms that they catch using their tentacles.

Do "Nocturnally roving weird, purple jellydots" have any predators?

Yes, some deep sea fish and larger marine animals like whales may prey on "Nocturnally roving weird, purple jellydots".

How do "Nocturnally roving weird, purple jellydots" reproduce?

These organisms reproduce by releasing eggs and sperm into the water, where fertilization occurs externally. They may also have asexual reproduction capabilities.