Seeing Double: Superimposing a Real Cross Section onto a CAD Model

In summary, the speaker had to draw a cross section of a quad seal on CAD, which is an O-ring with a deformed square cross section and lobes on the corners. They did not have exact dimensions, so they measured a few critical dimensions and sketched it by hand. To compare the drawing to an actual quad seal, they held the seal under a magnifying glass and looked at it with one eye, while looking at the drawing on the computer screen with the other eye. They were able to superimpose the two images and see that they were very close in size and focus. The speaker suggests trying this with a circle or other object under a magnifying glass and a corresponding image on a computer screen. They also mention
Q_Goest
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This was pretty cool. I had to draw the cross section of a quad seal (on CAD). It’s basically an O-ring with a cross section that looks like a deformed square with these lobes on the corners. It looks like this:
http://www.daemar.com/images/Quad-Ring-PartingLine.jpg

But I don’t have exact dimensions, and the square is only 0.103” across, so it’s tiny. I measured a few critical dimensions and sketched it in by hand on CAD, so I now have a roughly scale model of it on my computer screen.

I have one of these cut so I can look at the cross section under a magnifying glass but I wanted to compare what I was looking at to what I’d drawn on the screen.

---- here’s where it gets interesting ……..

To compare the two, I held the actual part under the magnifying glass and looked at it with one eye, then looked at the picture I drew on the screen with my other eye. After moving the right distance from the screen and getting everything into focus, I could superimpose the two images and see that they were very close to matching! I could actually get the two images to match both in size and focus.

Try it some time. Get a circle or something and look at it under a magnifying glass with one eye and have the same image on your computer screen to look at with your other eye and see if you can superimpose one image on the other. You really don’t need a magnifying glass I suppose, but that might help to allow your eyes to focus since the objects are at different distances from you.

Once you do that, you should also find that in your mind, you can shift between the two images. You can focus your thoughts on one of them then the other so you only see one or the other.

Well, I though it was pretty cool anyway... Now if I tell my daughter, she’s going to tell me I’ve lost another Man Badge. <sigh>…

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are we trying to do? Did you know you can think out loud in your head and talk out loud to people at the same time?

1. How does superimposing a real cross section onto a CAD model help in the scientific process?

Superimposing a real cross section onto a CAD model allows scientists to compare and analyze data from physical objects with digital representations, which can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the object and its characteristics. This can aid in making accurate measurements and observations, as well as identifying patterns or anomalies.

2. What are the steps involved in superimposing a real cross section onto a CAD model?

The first step is to obtain a digital model of the object using a 3D scanning technique. Then, the physical cross section must be carefully cut and aligned with the digital model using specialized software. The two images are then merged and adjusted for accuracy. Finally, the superimposed image is analyzed and interpreted for scientific purposes.

3. What types of scientific fields can benefit from using this technique?

This technique can be applied in a variety of scientific fields, including engineering, geology, biology, and archaeology. It can be particularly useful in fields that involve studying physical objects or structures, as it allows for a more detailed analysis and comparison with digital data.

4. Are there any limitations to superimposing a real cross section onto a CAD model?

One limitation is the need for specialized software and equipment, which may not be easily accessible or affordable for all scientists. Additionally, the accuracy of the superimposed image relies on the quality of the 3D scanning and alignment processes. In some cases, the physical object may also be too complex or irregular for accurate superimposition.

5. What are the potential future developments for this technique?

With advancements in technology, it is possible that this technique will become more accessible and refined. This could include the development of more user-friendly software and improvements in 3D scanning techniques. Additionally, there may be potential for using this technique in virtual reality or augmented reality applications for a more immersive and interactive experience.