1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nodal analysis exercise,are my equations correct?

1. Dec 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have the circuit in the figure.I have to find v using nodal analysis only.

2. Relevant equations
    Converted 1/6 F to -3j and 2sin2t to -2j.

3. The attempt at a solution
    In node v1 we have the equation
    6= -12+ [v1/2] + [( v1-v)/1]
    In node v we have the equation
    2j+ [(v1-v)/1]= 12 + [ v/(-3j)]

Solving these equations to find v is very easy,the crucial part is finding out if the two main equations here are correct.Are they?http://i.imgur.com/nAEsUpo.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

They look basically right, but I usually prefer to just sum all of the currents leaving each node, and set each sum = 0. It's confusing having 2 sides to the equations, with some currents entering and some leaving each node. At least it is confusing for me. :-)

4. Dec 19, 2014 #3

gneill

I would only question your handling of the sin() source. You've made the correct translation to a phasor value (-2j), then used +2j for it in your v-node equation on the left hand side where apparently you're summing currents flowing into the node.

I agree wholeheartedly with berkeman's suggestion about summing all currents and setting the sum to zero. Choose either in-flow or out-flow for the direction and be consistent. Do it the same way every time and you won't have to think about each current and the side of the equation to put it on and what sign to give it.

5. Dec 19, 2014 #4
    Many thanks to both of you :)
    I guess finally I should write them like this?
    6 +12- [v1/2] - [( v1-v)/1]=0
    -2j+ [(v1-v)/1]- 12 - [ v/(-3j)]=0

6. Dec 19, 2014 #5

gneill

Yes, looks good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted