1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nodal analysis question -- circuit analysis

1. Jan 22, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have the circuit in the figure.I have to find the current i using nodal analysis
    PPsWAsW.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    1/6 F =-3j
    1/2 F= -j
    1/2 H= j

3. The attempt at a solution

So we have the equations
    Node V1 : [(7-V1)/(4-3j) ]=[ V1/3 ]+ [(V1-V)/-j]
    Node V : [(V1-V)/-j] =(V )+ (V/j)
    In the V node we multiply by j each side so we have -(V1-V)=jV+V so -V1=jV
    I place this in the first node so we have
    In the first node we have [(7+jV)(4+3j)]/[(4-3j)(4+3j)] = -jV/3 + [(-jV-V)/-j]
    We have 1.12 +0.84j-0.16jV-0.12V=-0.33JV+V-jV
    Here I find V =0.1+0.85j
    Now to find i I think I need to divide this by 1/2 H so by j
    Problem is ,the result in my book is i=0.75 cos2t which I dont get here so where is my mistake?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

First, the value of the left capacitor looks to be 1/6 Farad, not 1/3 Farad, right? Does that change your first equation?

Second, I prefer to write the node equations as the sum of all currents leaving the node = 0. That way I don't have to worry about signs of currents.

Could you see if you want to change the first equation, and maybe re-write the equations in the form that I suggested? That will make it a lot easier to check your work. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted