Nodal Analysis using Complex Numbers

In summary: However, he has trouble with complex numbers, and so he tries to use Kirchhoff's law, but he has trouble rearranging algebra to solve the equation. In summary, Chris is trying to solve a voltage divider circuit using nodal analysis, but he is having trouble with the complex number components. He asks for help, and thanks for the response.
willow16v
Hi,
I would be grateful of any advice on how to solve the problem below.

My aim is to find the voltages at nodes 2, 3, and 4, by means nodal analysis and thus creating simultaneous equations and solving them using matricies or matrix in order to prove that these theories work.

I understand kirchhoffs law etc however its the complex numbers that are throwing me when working out the equations at each node.
, e.g multiplying and dividing by j etc.

I have tried for weeks now and it seems i am beaten yet again on my failure of rearranging algebra.

Any help would be great.

A=60 B=15 C=153

See diagram Below.

Cheers Chris

nodalanalysis.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
As an example, consider the isolated voltage divider consisting of E1=100, Z2=10, Z3=j20.

The voltage at point 2 would be

[tex]V_{2} = E_{1} \times \frac{Z_{3}}{(Z_{2}+Z_{3})}[/tex]

Adding Z2 and Z3 is straight forward: Z2+Z3 = 10 + 20j. This is an ordinary complex number, with an amplitude and phase angle as usual. The fraction E1*Z3/(Z2+Z3) can be reduced by multiplying with the complex conjugate to a more familiar form:

[tex]V_{2} = 80 + 40j[/tex]

Since Z3 is a complex (i.e reactive) component, the phase angle,[tex]\phi[/tex], at V2 is altered:

[tex]\phi = {tan}^{-1}(\frac{40}{80}) = 26.6 \:deg[/tex]

There's nothing mystical going on here. It's just a series-parallel circuit, but -- due to the reactive components -- you need to carry with you the phase information, which means you need another dimension (the complex plane).

gnurf said:
As an example, consider the isolated voltage divider consisting of E1=100, Z2=10, Z3=j20.

The voltage at point 2 would be

[tex]V_{2} = E_{1} \times \frac{Z_{3}}{(Z_{2}+Z_{3})}[/tex]

Adding Z2 and Z3 is straight forward: Z2+Z3 = 10 + 20j. This is an ordinary complex number, with an amplitude and phase angle as usual. The fraction E1*Z3/(Z2+Z3) can be reduced by multiplying with the complex conjugate to a more familiar form:

[tex]V_{2} = 80 + 40j[/tex]

Since Z3 is a complex (i.e reactive) component, the phase angle,[tex]\phi[/tex], at V2 is altered:

[tex]\phi = {tan}^{-1}(\frac{40}{80}) = 26.6 \:deg[/tex]

There's nothing mystical going on here. It's just a series-parallel circuit, but -- due to the reactive components -- you need to carry with you the phase information, which means you need another dimension (the complex plane).

Be careful not to do too much of the poster's work for them. This is homework (originally misplaced in EE where you saw it and replied), so the original poster (OP) needs to do the bulk of the work.

However, you left the rest of the problem for him, so I'm going to leave your description for him. Let's see if that's enough for him to follow your lead and finish the solution.

berkeman said:
Be careful not to do too much of the poster's work for them. This is homework (originally misplaced in EE where you saw it and replied), so the original poster (OP) needs to do the bulk of the work.

Right, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

gnurf said:
Right, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Thanks. Good post BTW. Thanks for the help!

thankyou for your reply, i will try again using your ideas.

The circuit i understand, but its the parralel reistor Z1 that confuses me when working out the voltage at 3 using nodal analysis.

Many thanks
Chris

What is nodal analysis using complex numbers?

Nodal analysis using complex numbers is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current at each node in a circuit. It involves representing the circuit as a system of linear equations and solving for the unknown variables using complex numbers.

Why is nodal analysis using complex numbers useful?

Nodal analysis using complex numbers is useful because it allows for the analysis of circuits with both AC and DC components. It also provides a more accurate representation of the circuit, as it considers the phase and magnitude of the voltages and currents at each node.

What are the steps involved in nodal analysis using complex numbers?

The steps involved in nodal analysis using complex numbers are as follows:

1. Identify and label all the nodes in the circuit.
  2. Write Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) equations for each node, using complex numbers to represent the voltages and currents.
  3. Write the equations in matrix form.
  4. Solve the system of equations using methods such as Gaussian elimination or Cramer's rule.
  5. Convert the complex numbers back to polar or rectangular form to obtain the voltage and current values at each node.

What are the advantages of using complex numbers in nodal analysis?

Using complex numbers in nodal analysis allows for a more efficient and accurate analysis of circuits. It also simplifies the calculations, as complex numbers can be easily manipulated using algebraic rules. Additionally, it allows for the representation of both active and reactive components in the circuit.

Are there any limitations of nodal analysis using complex numbers?

One limitation of nodal analysis using complex numbers is that it can become more complex and time-consuming for larger circuits with multiple nodes. It also assumes that the circuit is linear, which may not always be the case. In such situations, other methods of analysis may be more suitable.