1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Noether current for SO(3) rotation

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    This is a problem from my theoretical physics course. We were given a solution sheet, but it doesn't go into a lot of detail, so I was hoping for some clarification on how some of the answers are derived.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the Lagrangian L=1/2(∂μTμ∅-m2T∅) derive the Noether currents and charges.

2. Relevant equations

jμa=∂L/(∂(∂μa))*[itex]\Phi[/itex] - [itex]\Lambda[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex]α

Here, the lambda term is zero, because the Lagrangian is invariant under SO(3).

a → ∅a + [itex]\Phi[/itex]εα

3. The attempt at a solution

We were first told to show that the above Lagrangian satisfies SO(3) symmetry (this was fine). The solution sheet then states that infintessimal transformations can be written as ∅a → ∅a-itc(Tc)abb, where (Tc)ab=-iεcab

I could not work out how to derive this though.

Using the above info, I can see that [itex]\Phi[/itex]ac = -i(Tc)abb, taking εα = tc

Then I just need to calculate ∂L/∂(∂μa)
    Is this just ∂μa?? I'm not sure how to calculate this when there's 2 derivatives, one with a superscript and one with a subscript. And does the transpose affect things?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2012 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You probably want [itex]{j^\mu}_\alpha[/itex] on the left side to match indices.

You could either take this as a definition of the Lie algebra of the orthogonal group or else show that the finite matrices [itex]\exp (i t^a T_a)[/itex] are orthogonal. This is a generalization of the way we can parametrize 2d rotations by an angle.

You can write

[tex]\partial_\mu \phi^a \partial^\mu \phi_a = \delta_{ab} \eta^{\mu\nu} \partial_\mu \phi^a \partial_\nu \phi^b,[/tex]

then use

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_\nu \phi^b) } \partial_\mu\phi^a = \delta^a_b \delta^\nu_\mu.[/tex]

Since there are 2 factors of [itex]\partial\phi[/itex], you'll need to use the product rule which brings in a factor of 2 in the answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook