1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Noetherian Rings

1. Oct 24, 2007 #1
    Suppose A is a Noetherian ring, phi:A->A any surjective ring homomorphism. Show that phi is also injective.

Also, if all the prime ideals of a ring A are finitely generated then is A noetherian?

I'm pretty sure it is. I figure I can take all of the ideals that are not finitely generated and find a maximal prime ideal that contains these ideals.

I've just started reading a book on commutative algebra with the hopes of moving on to algebraic geometry.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's surely not true!

4. Oct 24, 2007 #3
    If all prime ideals are finitely generated then the ring is noetherian, theorem of Cohen.

5. Oct 25, 2007 #4
    Consider the chain of ideals:

[tex]\ker\phi\subset\ker\phi^2\subset\ker\phi^3\subset\cdots[/tex]

And the fact that [itex]\phi(A)=A[/itex].

6. Oct 25, 2007 #5

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure if I'm reading what you're saying correctly, but what you want to do is take all of the ideals that are not finitely generated, get a maximal such ideal (Zorn), and then show it's prime.

Come to think of it -- this is an exercise in Eisenbud, a book that might be very suitable for what you want. (Maybe you already aknow this, and this is where this problem is from!?)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  7. Oct 25, 2007 #6

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, what I saw is surely not true. But now that I look again, I can see clear as day that you didn't write phi:A->B. :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?