Is My Solution for a Non Homogeneous D.E. with Given Initial Conditions Valid?

In summary, the author suggests that the reader try solving the equation using two different methods and that the reader has never seen an auxiliary equation set equal to a function that's not identically zero.
BrettJimison

Homework Statement

hello all,

Suppose y is a solution of the d.e:

y"+p(x)y'+q(x)y= q(x) on the interval (-1,1) with y(0)=1 and y'(0)= 1.

What is y?

Homework Equations

I used the auxiliary equation: m^2+p(x)m+q(x)= q(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is can I do this? I can cancel out the q functions and the right and left and I'm left with m=0 and m=-p(x). I can solve from there and I get a solution of y=1

I am a little uneasy about my solution since I have never seen an auxiliary equation set equal to a function that's not identically zero. Is this legal? Or does my auxiliary equation have to be equal to zero? If that's the case, I don't know how to solve this with the given info since I don't know the particular solution...Thanks!

Likes Ray Vickson
Physics news on Phys.org
BrettJimison said:

Homework Statement

hello all,

Is that a typo or is it really the same ##q(x)## on both sides?

What is y?

Homework Equations

Where did that come from? It makes no sense to me.

My question is can I do this? I can cancel out the q functions and the right and left and I'm left with m=0 and m=-p(x). I can solve from there and I get a solution of y=1

Thanks!

Actually, as it's written, ##y \equiv 1## happens to be a solution to the DE, but not the boundary conditions. Back to the drawing board.

BrettJimison said:

Homework Statement

hello all,

What is y?

Homework Equations

I am a little uneasy about my solution since I have never seen an auxiliary equation set equal to a function that's not identically zero. Is this legal? Or does my auxiliary equation have to be equal to zero? If that's the case, I don't know how to solve this with the given info since I don't know the particular solution...Thanks!

I suggest you start with the case of constant p and q, and try to solve the DE using both methods you suggested: (i) not cancelling the q on both sides of your m equation; and (ii) cancelling it, as you asked about. One of these methods will yield a horribly incorrect solution, and the best way to understand this is to try it out for yourself.

Also: I bet you have never---in any textbook or paper---seen people write the "auxiliary" equation when p and/or q are functions of x instead of constants. There is a good reason for that!

BrettJimison said:

Homework Statement

What is y?

Homework Equations

I am a little uneasy about my solution since I have never seen an auxiliary equation set equal to a function that's not identically zero. Is this legal? Or does my auxiliary equation have to be equal to zero? If that's the case, I don't know how to solve this with the given info since I don't know the particular solution.
You should go back and review the derivation of the method where you used the characteristic polynomial obtained from a differential equation. In particular, pay attention to the assumptions that went into it. Then you can decide whether your approach is valid or not, rather than simply guessing and feeling uneasy.

Oftentimes, it's natural to first concentrate on learning how to use a technique rather than understanding where it came from, but once you've got some familiarity with it, it can be instructive to go back and see the derivation. That way, you'll know when you can use a method and when you can't.

LCKurtz said:
Is that a typo or is it really the same ##q(x)## on both sides?
yes it's q(x) on both sides. The equation was supposed to be a characteristic equation which I realize was completely wrong since p(x) and q(x) aren't constant.

Why not try helping me out instead of criticizing me? I'm new to d.e so chill out.

Ray Vickson said:
I suggest you start with the case of constant p and q, and try to solve the DE using both methods you suggested: (i) not cancelling the q on both sides of your m equation; and (ii) cancelling it, as you asked about. One of these methods will yield a horribly incorrect solution, and the best way to understand this is to try it out for yourself.

Also: I bet you have never---in any textbook or paper---seen people write the "auxiliary" equation when p and/or q are functions of x instead of constants. There is a good reason for that!
Thanks for the response! You are completely correct..I forgot that p and q needed to be constant for a characteristic eqn. I am new to second order and haven't even learned to solve a non homogeneous linear yet so the q(x) on the right side is throwing me off...

BrettJimison said:
Why not try helping me out instead of criticizing me? I'm new to d.e so chill out.

Please quote the phrase where I "criticized" you.

Related to Is My Solution for a Non Homogeneous D.E. with Given Initial Conditions Valid?

1. What is a non-homogeneous differential equation (d.e.)?

A non-homogeneous differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives, where the function is not equal to zero. In other words, the equation is not "homogeneous" because it does not have a constant value or no function at all on one side.

2. How does a non-homogeneous d.e. differ from a homogeneous d.e.?

In a homogeneous d.e., the function on one side is equal to zero, while in a non-homogeneous d.e., the function is not equal to zero. This means that the solution to a non-homogeneous d.e. will involve both a particular solution and the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation.

3. What is the general solution to a non-homogeneous d.e.?

The general solution to a non-homogeneous d.e. is a combination of the particular solution and the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation. This can be written in the form y = yp + yh, where yp is the particular solution and yh is the general solution to the homogeneous equation.

4. How do you find the particular solution to a non-homogeneous d.e.?

The particular solution to a non-homogeneous d.e. can be found using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. These methods involve guessing a particular form for the solution and then solving for the coefficients using the given equation.

5. Can a non-homogeneous d.e. have multiple solutions?

Yes, a non-homogeneous d.e. can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution is a combination of the particular solution and the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation, and there can be multiple solutions to the homogeneous equation. Additionally, different methods for finding the particular solution can also result in different solutions.