Non linear pde need to change it to an ode

In summary, to solve this non-linear PDE using the given substitution, you need to take the derivatives of u(x,t) with respect to x and t and then substitute them into the original PDE. This will result in an equation involving f and its derivatives with respect to x, which can then be solved to find f''. From there, you can integrate to find f'.
maggie56

Homework Statement

my non linear pde is
du/dt = d/dx [3u2 - d2u/dx2 ]
The question says to let u(x,t) = f(x-ct)
Where the function f tends to 0, f' tends to 0 and f'' tends to 0 but the (x-ct) tends to positive or negative infinity.

Homework Equations

i thought the solution was to find du/dt du/dx d2u/dt2 and d2u/dx2
Which gave me in order as above, -cf' , f' , c2f'' , f''

The Attempt at a Solution

But when i substitute these into the pde i get -cf' = d/dx[3f2 - f"] which I am not sure actually helps

Could someone please tell me if i am using the correct method or if i have done it completely wrong

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
for your question. It seems like you are on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be clarified.

First, when you substitute u(x,t) = f(x-ct) into the PDE, you should get:

du/dt = d/dx [3f(x-ct)^2 - d^2f(x-ct)/dx^2]

Next, you need to take the derivatives with respect to x and t. Remember that f is a function of x only, so when you take the derivative with respect to t, the x-ct term will be treated as a constant. Therefore, you should get:

du/dt = -cf'(x-ct)

d/dx [3f(x-ct)^2 - d^2f(x-ct)/dx^2] = f'(x-ct) - c^2f''(x-ct)

Substituting these into the original PDE, you should get:

-cf'(x-ct) = f'(x-ct) - c^2f''(x-ct)

This is the same equation you obtained, but it is now in terms of f and its derivatives with respect to x. From here, you can solve for f'' and then integrate to find f'.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the difference between a non-linear PDE and an ODE?

A non-linear PDE (partial differential equation) involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives, whereas an ODE (ordinary differential equation) only involves one variable and its derivatives. Non-linear PDEs are more complex and often require numerical methods for solutions.

Why is it sometimes necessary to convert a non-linear PDE into an ODE?

Converting a non-linear PDE into an ODE can make the problem easier to solve, as ODEs are often more familiar and have well-established methods for solutions. Additionally, some physical systems can be better described by ODEs rather than PDEs.

What are some common methods for converting a non-linear PDE into an ODE?

One method is the method of characteristics, which involves finding curves along which the PDE becomes an ODE. Another method is separation of variables, where the PDE is transformed into a system of ODEs by assuming a solution of the form u(x,t) = X(x)T(t).

What are the limitations of converting a non-linear PDE into an ODE?

Converting a non-linear PDE into an ODE can only be done for certain types of PDEs and may not always lead to a simplification of the problem. Additionally, the accuracy of the solution may be affected by the conversion process.

How does converting a non-linear PDE into an ODE impact the physical interpretation of the problem?

The physical interpretation of the problem may change depending on the method used for conversion. It is important to consider the limitations and assumptions made during the conversion process and how they may affect the physical meaning of the solution.