Non-Negative, Decreasing Sequence: If series converges then lim n*a_n = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if a series is positive and decreasing, and its sum converges, then the limit of n * a_n must be equal to 0. The participants use the harmonic series as an example and apply the Limit Comparison Test to prove this statement. They also discuss the existence of the limit and provide a proof by contradiction to show that the limit must be equal to 0.
Esseintes

Homework Statement

Let {a_n} be positive, decreasing. Show that if a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + ... converges then lim n * a_n = 0.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider the harmonic series 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... . Observe that

[a_n] / [1 / n] = n * a_n .

Since 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... diverges, by the Limit Comparison Test we know that, if it exists, lim n * a_n = 0, for otherwise a_1 + a_2 + a_3 + ... would also diverge, a contradiction.

My question is, how do I prove that the limit necessarily exists? Considering f(x) = 1/x, I imagine, for example, a function g(x) in the shape of a step function such that liminf g(x) / f(x) = 0 and limsup g(x) / f(x) = 1. In this case the limit would not exist so I guess (in light of the problem statement) that the series g(1) + g(2) + g(3) + ... must diverge, but I don't know how to show this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok. If limit n*a_n is not zero, then there is an e>0 such that there exists an infinite number of integers N such that N*a_N>e. Right? If you are onboard with that, then i) there is an N0 such that N0*a_N0>e. There are N0 terms a_n less than N0 and each one is greater than e/N0. So the sum of those terms is greater than e. Now, there is an N1>2*N0 such that N1*a_N1>e. That means each of the a_n for n between N0 and N1 is greater than N1/e. There are more than N1-N0>N1/2 such terms. So the sum of all of those terms is greater than e/2. Now there is an N2>2*N1 such that N2*a*N2>e. The sum of all of the a_n for n between N2 and N1 is again greater than e/2. I can keep this up forever. And get an infinite number of e/2's. But the sum of the a_n is supposed to be finite and e>0. How can that be? I've been a little sketchy about exactly how many terms are between the integers, but that's the spirit of the proof.

Got it, thank you. I see now that it is much the same as showing that 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... diverges.

It's exactly the same. You catch on fast.

1. What is a non-negative, decreasing sequence?

A non-negative, decreasing sequence is a sequence of numbers that are all greater than or equal to zero, and each subsequent term is smaller than the previous term. This means that the values in the sequence get closer and closer to zero as the sequence progresses.

2. What does it mean for a series to converge?

A series converges when the terms of the sequence approach a finite limit as the number of terms in the sequence increases. This means that the values of the sequence get closer and closer to a specific number as more terms are added.

3. How is the limit of a non-negative, decreasing sequence related to its convergence?

If a series converges, then the limit of the sequence (the value that the terms get closer and closer to) will be equal to zero. In other words, the closer the terms get to zero, the more likely it is that the series will converge.

4. Is it possible for a non-negative, decreasing sequence to converge without the limit being equal to zero?

No, it is not possible for a non-negative, decreasing sequence to converge without the limit being equal to zero. As the terms get smaller and approach zero, the series gets closer and closer to a finite value, which is the limit. If the limit is not equal to zero, then the series would not converge.

5. How is the concept of a non-negative, decreasing sequence used in mathematics?

Non-negative, decreasing sequences are commonly used in mathematics to determine the convergence of series, which is important in many areas such as calculus, statistics, and physics. They are also used in proving theorems and solving problems related to infinite series.