Non-Relativistic SUSY: Group Theory Motivation

• Thread starter haushofer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Susy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of non-relativistic SUSY and its relation to the supersymmetric Galilei algebra with central extension M. It explains how this algebra is obtained from the N=1 Super Poincaré algebra through an Inonu-Wigner contraction, which decouples SUSY and spacetime translations. The characteristic commutator of rel. SUSY is also discussed and it is shown how it can be motivated by the representation theory of the Lorentz algebra. The conversation then delves into the non-relativistic case, where the commutator becomes {Q, \bar{Q}} = M and SUSY becomes an "internal symmetry." The question posed is how this can be motivated using
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi, I have a question about non-relativistic SUSY, see e.g. "non-relativistic SUSY" by Clark and Love.

The supersymmetric Galilei algebra with central extension M can easily be obtained from the N=1 Super Poincaré algebra by an Inonu-Wigner contraction. In this proces, SUSY and spacetime translations are decoupled! The characteristic commutator of rel. SUSY is schematically (using Weyl spinors)

[tex]
\{ Q, \bar{Q} \} = P
[/tex]

This can be motivated by the fact that Q, being a Weyl spinor, is in the (1/2,0) rep. of the Lorentz algebra, and Q-bar is in the (0,1/2) rep. such that the commutator must be in the (1/2,1/2) rep. which is the vector representation. This lead you to use [itex]P_{\mu}[/itex] on the right hand side of the commutator.

Now, non-relativistically one obtains the commutator

[tex]
\{ Q, \bar{Q} \} = M
[/tex]

with M being the central extension playing the role of mass, and Q only transforming under SO(3) rotations. SUSY becomes an "internal symmetry", and perhaps calling it "SUSY" is somewhat of a misnomer.

My question is: how can I again use a group-theoretical argument to motivate that this is what you expect, as in the rel. case? Instead of a vector one now seems to get a scalar on the RHS of the commutator, but I can't see how to motivate this.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, naively I would say that we are talking about spinors sitting in the fundamental rep. of SU(2), namely the [itex]2[/itex], and that

[tex]
2 \otimes 2 = 1_A \oplus 3_S
[/tex]

The non.rel. SUSY anticommutator is the symmetric product, but then I don't get the singlet but the [itex]3[/itex]! What is going wrong in my reasoning?

-edit: strictly speaking Q sits in the [itex]2[/itex] and [itex]\bar{Q}[/itex] in the [itex]\bar{2}[/itex], but I thought these two reps are identical. Perhaps here something subtle is going on?

Last edited:
Perhaps this topic fits better in another subforum?

1. What is non-relativistic SUSY?

Non-relativistic SUSY (Supersymmetry) is a theoretical framework in physics that proposes a symmetry between fermions (particles with half-integer spin) and bosons (particles with integer spin). It predicts the existence of superpartners for each known particle, with the same mass and internal quantum numbers, but differing in their spin.

2. What is the motivation for using group theory in non-relativistic SUSY?

Group theory is a mathematical framework that describes symmetries and transformations in a system. It is used in non-relativistic SUSY to describe the symmetries between fermions and bosons and to predict the existence of superpartners. Group theory also allows for the formulation of equations that are invariant under these symmetries, making it a useful tool for studying non-relativistic SUSY.

3. What is the significance of non-relativistic SUSY in particle physics?

Non-relativistic SUSY is significant in particle physics because it offers a possible solution to several long-standing problems in the field, such as the hierarchy problem and the unification of fundamental forces. It also provides a potential explanation for dark matter, as the lightest superpartner is a candidate for this elusive form of matter.

4. How is non-relativistic SUSY different from relativistic SUSY?

The main difference between non-relativistic SUSY and relativistic SUSY is the scale at which they operate. Non-relativistic SUSY is applicable to systems at low energies, while relativistic SUSY is used to describe phenomena at high energies, such as those observed in particle accelerators. Additionally, the mathematical formulations and symmetry structures in the two theories are slightly different.

5. What are some current research areas in non-relativistic SUSY?

Current research in non-relativistic SUSY includes studying its implications for dark matter and the unification of fundamental forces, as well as searching for evidence of superpartners in particle collider experiments. There is also ongoing research into the connections between non-relativistic SUSY and other areas of physics, such as condensed matter and string theory.