1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non uniform circular motion

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    car travels in a flat circle of radius r. at certain point instantaeous velocity is 24 m/s west and the total acceleration is 2.5 m/s2 53 degrees north of west. find radial and tangential acceleration. and period

2. Relevant equations
    ar= 2.5cos37
    at=2.5sin37
    r=24 x 24/ar
    T= 2pie(r)/v

am i plugging in the numbers for ar and at correctly??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2
    i got ar to = 1.99 roughly 2 m/s2 and at = 1.5 m/s2
    i just am not sure if i use 53 degrees as the angle or 37
    using the numbers above i got 288 m for the radius and 74 s as the period..if someone can verify my work and let me know if im on the right path that would be great..thanks for your help in advanced :)

4. Sep 22, 2011 #3
    btw heres the actual question if there isnt enough information

a car travels in a flat circle of radius R. at a certain instant the velocity is 24 m/s west, and the total acceleration of the car s 2.5 m/s2 53 degrees north of west. find the radial and tangential components of the acceleration of the car at that moment. if the cars tangential acceleration is constant how long will it take for to make one full cirlce from the point at which its velocity is 24 m/s

5. Sep 22, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Use the 53° angle, since it's measured "north of west" and at the instant of interest the car is at the southernmost point of the track and traveling west.

attachment.php?attachmentid=39180&stc=1&d=1316715600.gif

Your period seems a bit high. How exactly did you go about calculating it? Can you show your calculation?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook