Non uniform circular motion

In summary, the problem involves a car traveling in a flat circle of radius R. At a certain instant, the car has a velocity of 24 m/s west and a total acceleration of 2.5 m/s2 53 degrees north of west. To find the radial and tangential components of the acceleration, the equations ar = 2.5cos37 and at = 2.5sin37 can be used. The value of R can be calculated by using the equation r = 24 x 24/ar. The period can be found using the equation T = 2pie(r)/v. It is important to use the 53 degree angle since it is measured "north of west" and the car is at the
aali069

Homework Statement

car travels in a flat circle of radius r. at certain point instantaeous velocity is 24 m/s west and the total acceleration is 2.5 m/s2 53 degrees north of west. find radial and tangential acceleration. and period

Homework Equations

ar= 2.5cos37
at=2.5sin37
r=24 x 24/ar
T= 2pie(r)/v

am i plugging in the numbers for ar and at correctly??

Physics news on Phys.org
i got ar to = 1.99 roughly 2 m/s2 and at = 1.5 m/s2
i just am not sure if i use 53 degrees as the angle or 37
using the numbers above i got 288 m for the radius and 74 s as the period..if someone can verify my work and let me know if I am on the right path that would be great..thanks for your help in advanced :)

btw here's the actual question if there isn't enough information

a car travels in a flat circle of radius R. at a certain instant the velocity is 24 m/s west, and the total acceleration of the car s 2.5 m/s2 53 degrees north of west. find the radial and tangential components of the acceleration of the car at that moment. if the cars tangential acceleration is constant how long will it take for to make one full cirlce from the point at which its velocity is 24 m/s

Use the 53° angle, since it's measured "north of west" and at the instant of interest the car is at the southernmost point of the track and traveling west.

attachment.php?attachmentid=39180&stc=1&d=1316715600.gif

Your period seems a bit high. How exactly did you go about calculating it? Can you show your calculation?

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,150

Yes, you have correctly plugged in the numbers for ar and at using the given information. To find the period, you can use the equation T=2πr/v, where r is the radius and v is the instantaneous velocity. So in this case, T=2π(24)/24= 2π seconds. This means it takes 2π seconds for the car to complete one full revolution in its circular motion.

1. What is non uniform circular motion?

Non uniform circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a circular path at varying speeds. This means that the object's velocity, or speed and direction of motion, changes as it moves along the circular path.

2. How is non uniform circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed and direction of the object's motion remains constant throughout the circular path. In non uniform circular motion, the speed and direction of the object's motion changes, making it a more complex type of motion.

3. What causes an object to undergo non uniform circular motion?

Non uniform circular motion can be caused by various factors such as an unbalanced force acting on the object, changes in the object's velocity, or the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How is non uniform circular motion related to centripetal and tangential acceleration?

In non uniform circular motion, the object experiences both centripetal acceleration, which is directed towards the center of the circle, and tangential acceleration, which is directed tangent to the circular path. These accelerations are responsible for the changes in the object's velocity.

5. What are some real-life examples of non uniform circular motion?

Examples of non uniform circular motion include a rollercoaster moving along its track, a car turning a corner, and a satellite orbiting the Earth. These objects experience changes in speed and direction as they move along a circular path.