Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-visble Eelectormagntic radition effects on photograph's

1. Apr 12, 2006 #1
    Can nonvisable light effect photograph's when your taking a picture?
    I know that if there's enough radition that it can effect film.
    But if there's a small amount of nonvible light like ultraviolet or infrared could it be possible for it have an effect on flim.Woul it also be possible for it to be dected if you had the eguipment neccery?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2006 #2

Well, if there is enough the photograph would eminate black-body radiation.
  4. Apr 12, 2006 #3

Gold Member

I don't know about film, but most digital cameras pick up IR signals (not sure up to what wavelength though).

You can see this by looking at the IR transmitter on your remote control through a digital camera while pressing a button on the remote.
  5. Apr 12, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Xrays were first detected by accidental fogging of photographic paper. So yes, invisible wavelengths can effect photographic paper.

Or are you talking about digital photography?
  6. Apr 12, 2006 #5
    Both digtal and flim photography.

Could it be possible that you take a requarly photograph and use computer(or somthing) and make dectect if there was invisble light wave was exposed to the camrea.
  7. Apr 13, 2006 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm an old guy now I guess :bugeye:, but back when we still had film in a camera, if you went to take pictures in snow or something, you needed to put a UV filter in front of the lens, in order to avoid the UV to color the picture of the snow blueish.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?