1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-zero determinant iff matrix is invertible.

1. Jan 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that A is any 2x2 matrix show that it is invertible if and only if det(A) [tex]\neq[/tex] 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If A is invertible then we know there exists an inverse matrix, say B, such that AB = BA = I.
    It follows that det(AB)=det(BA)=det(I), and we know that det(I) = (1*1) - (0*0) = 1, so
    det(AB) = det(A)det(B) = 1 implies both det(A) and det(B) are both nonzero.

However, I'm unsure how to show the converse.

If we suppose det(A) is not equal to 0, we know that no rows/columns of A are all zero, no two rows/columns are equal, and one row/column is not a multiple of the other.

I'm stuck here.. if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

How would you write A-1 in terms of det(A) and adj(A)?

4. Jan 14, 2010 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you have any explicit formulas* for the inverse?

If not, then if you wrote down a generic matrix (its entries are variables), do you have an algorithm to compute* the inverse?

If not, can you write down another generic matrix at least solve* the system of equations that says "this matrix is the inverse of the other one"?

*: Paying careful attention to when it does and doesn't work? e.g. if you would divide by the expression (b-a), you should keep track of the fact you're assuming b-a is nonzero. (And then consider the case b=a separately)

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4
    A^(-1) = [1/det(A)]*adj(A)

So I can just say that because I know that det(A) isn't zero, 1/det(A) is defined and therefore A^(-1) exists?

6. Jan 14, 2010 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well I think that would work. I am not sure what sort of proof you are expected to give though.

7. Jan 15, 2010 #6
    Use the fact that an n*n matrix is invertible if and only if its rank is n.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook