Non-zero zeta function on plane Re(z)>1

In summary, Riemann says that the zeta function doesn't have zeros on the half plane \{z\in\mathbb{C}\;|\;\textrm{Re}(z)>1\}, because the sum\log(\zeta(z)) = \log\Big(\frac{1}{\underset{p\in\mathbb{P}}{\prod}\big(1 - \frac{1}{p^z}\big)}\Big) = -\sum_{p\in\mathbb{P}}\log\big(1 - \frac{1}{p^z}\big)remains finite.
jostpuur
Riemann says that the zeta function doesn't have zeros on the half plane [itex]\{z\in\mathbb{C}\;|\;\textrm{Re}(z)>1\}[/itex], because the sum

[tex]
\log(\zeta(z)) = \log\Big(\frac{1}{\underset{p\in\mathbb{P}}{\prod}\big(1 - \frac{1}{p^z}\big)}\Big) = -\sum_{p\in\mathbb{P}}\log\big(1 - \frac{1}{p^z}\big)
[/tex]

remains finite. Well, why does that sum remain finite? Doesn't look quite obvious to me.

hmhmh... what kind of set is the set

[tex]
\zeta(\{z\in\mathbb{C}\;|\;\textrm{Re}(z)>1\})\subset\mathbb{C}?
[/tex]

Does it fit in a domain of some logarithm, or does it wind around the origo?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, [itex]\log(1-x) \approx -x[/itex] (for small x), so it looks plausible.

hmhmhm... ok

Possible winding problems can probably be avoided by using a real logarithm.

[tex]
\log(|\zeta(z)|) = -\sum_{p\in\mathbb{P}}\log\big(|1 - p^{-z}|\big) = -\frac{1}{2}\sum_{p\in\mathbb{P}} \log\big(1 + p^{-2x} - 2p^{-x} \cos(y\log(p))\big)
[/tex]

Last edited:
Well doesn't the Euler product suffice to show that there are no zeroes in re z > 1?

*-<|:-D=<-< said:
Well doesn't the Euler product suffice to show that there are no zeroes in re z > 1?

It can happen that [itex]x_n\neq 0[/itex] for all [itex]n=1,2,3,\ldots[/itex], but still

[tex]
\prod_{n=1}^{\infty} x_n = 0,
[/tex]

so [itex]\zeta(z)\neq 0[/itex] is not clear at least merely because the factors [itex](1 - p^{-z})^{-1}[/itex] are non-zero.

Yes but [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} x_n=1[/tex] in this case so I think it should hold.

I must however confess I have very small knowledge on the area, and might well be mistaken.

(edit: ugly tex =o )

If [itex]a_1,a_2,a_3,\ldots[/itex] is a sequence such that

[tex]
a_n\to 0
[/tex]

but

[tex]
\sum_{k=1}^{n} a_k \to \pm\infty,
[/tex]

then [itex]e^{a_1}, e^{a_2}, e^{a_3},\ldots [/itex] is a sequence such that

[tex]
e^{a_n} \to 1
[/tex]

but

[tex]
\prod_{k=1}^{n} e^{a_k} \to 0\;\textrm{or}\;\infty.
[/tex]

Well that clears that up then :tongue:.

(edit: a moment of clarity)

in that case,

[tex]\log \zeta(z) = -\sum_p \log(1-p^{-z}) = \sum_p \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{p^{-nz}}{n}[/tex]

using the taylor series for log(1-x), we see that the sum remains finite.

Does that hold?

Last edited:
As I realize now that what I said, although looking plausible does not prove anything.

However I looked into absolute convergence for products and it seems that the product,

[tex]\prod_i 1+a_i[/tex] converges absolutely iff [tex]\sum_i a_i[/tex] does so.

Apply with [tex]\prod_p \left( 1+\frac{1}{p^s-1} \right)[/tex] and you end up with the convergence of [tex]\sum_p \frac{1}{p^s-1}[/tex]

I agree that the idea in the post #8 is the one that leads into the proof, but there are some details that have to be worked out. Do you have a proof for the claim in the post #9?

Anyway, my proof of the fact [itex]\zeta(z)\neq 0[/itex] for [itex]\textrm{Re}(z)>1[/itex] goes like this now. Firstly, we aim for the proof of

[tex]
\log |\zeta(z)| > -\infty
[/tex]

The real logarithm must be used unless somebody knows with certainty that a complex logarithm exists in the image of [itex]\zeta(\{z\in\mathbb{C}\;|\;\textrm{Re}(z)>1\})[/itex]. So the task becomes a proof of the claim

[tex]
\sum_{p\in\mathbb{P}} \log\big(1 + p^{-2x} - 2p^{-x}\cos(y\log(p))\big) < \infty
[/tex]

The Taylor series of the logarithm cannot be substituted right a way, because many of the terms inside logarithm may not be in domain of convergence [itex]]0,2[[/itex]. In order to prove that the series converges, it suffices to prove that it converges when the sum is restricted to values [itex]p>P[/itex] with some [itex]P[/itex]. When [itex]z[/itex] is fixed,

[tex]
\lim_{p\to\infty}\big( p^{-2x} - 2p^{-x}\cos(y\log(p)) \big) = 0
[/tex]

so we can choose sufficiently big [itex]P[/itex] so that the terms in the logarithm are inside the Taylor series' domain of convergence, and then the task is to prove that

[tex]
\underset{p>P}{\sum_{p\in\mathbb{P}}} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n} \big(
p^{-2x} - 2p^{-x}\cos(y\log(p))\big)^n
[/tex]

converges.

[tex]
\big| p^{-2x} - 2p^{-x}\cos(y\log(p))\big| \leq 3 p^{-x}
[/tex]

so actually it suffices to prove

[tex]
\underset{p>P}{\sum_{p\in\mathbb{P}}} \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n} p^{-xn} < \infty.
[/tex]

This can be done with Fubini's theorem and some approximations.

[tex]
\underset{p>P}{\sum_{p\in\mathbb{P}}} p^{-xn} \leq \int\limits_{P}^{\infty} p^{-xn} dp = \frac{P^{1-xn}}{xn-1}
[/tex]

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \underset{p>P}{\sum_{p\in\mathbb{P}}} \frac{1}{n}p^{-xn} \leq P \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n^2} \frac{1}{x - \frac{1}{n}} P^{-xn} < \infty
[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Non-zero zeta function on the plane Re(z)>1?

The non-zero zeta function on the plane Re(z)>1 is a mathematical function that is defined as the sum of the reciprocal powers of all positive integers, raised to a complex variable z. It is denoted by ζ(z) and is closely related to the Riemann zeta function.

2. What is the significance of the restriction Re(z)>1 in the Non-zero zeta function?

The restriction Re(z)>1 is important because it ensures that the series used to define the non-zero zeta function converges. Without this restriction, the function would not be well-defined and would not have any significant properties.

3. What are the main properties of the Non-zero zeta function on the plane Re(z)>1?

The main properties of the non-zero zeta function on the plane Re(z)>1 include its analytic continuation to the entire complex plane, its functional equation, and its relationship to the distribution of prime numbers. It also has zeros at negative even integers and has a pole at z=1.

4. How is the Non-zero zeta function used in mathematics?

The non-zero zeta function has various applications in mathematics, including number theory, complex analysis, and physics. It is used to study the distribution of prime numbers, the Riemann hypothesis, and the behavior of various other mathematical functions.

5. What is the current state of research on the Non-zero zeta function on the plane Re(z)>1?

The non-zero zeta function is an active area of research, with mathematicians continuously exploring its properties and applications. Some current research topics include the distribution of its zeros, its relationship to other mathematical functions, and its role in solving problems in number theory and physics.