Can a nonabelian group of order p^3 be constructed for any prime p?

• Thread starter joeblow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, we are tasked with showing the existence of a nonabelian group of order p^3. We begin by considering a p-group (called G) and its center, which must be nontrivial and have an order of p, p^2, or p^3. We rule out the possibilities of p^3 and p^2 by showing that they would result in an abelian group. Therefore, we know that the center of G must have an order of p and is isomorphic to the cyclic group \mathbb{Z}_p.To show that G is nonabelian, we want to construct a group containing \mathbb{Z}_p such that the quotient group G/\mathbb{Z}_
joeblow
For any prime p how do I show that there is a nonabelian group of order p^3?

Since we are dealing with a p-group (call it G), its center is nontrivial (i.e., of order p,p^2, or p^3). Obviously, the center cannot have order p^3 (otherwise it's abelian). Also, if its center has order p^2, then [itex]|G/Z(G)|=p[/itex] implying that G is cyclic and thus abelian. Another no-go.

Thus, [itex]|Z(G)|=p[/itex] and [itex]Z(G) \cong \mathbb{Z}_p [/itex].

Now, I want G to be nonabelian, so I want a G containing Z_p such that [itex]G/\mathbb{Z}_p \cong \mathbb{Z}_p \times \mathbb{Z}_p [/itex] (which would be the only noncyclic group of order p^2).

From here, I have no idea how to recover the original G. Also, semidirect products are off-limits for this problem. (I'm going through an old algebra book and the semidirect product is not introduced till after the section from which this problem comes.)

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, you seem to be misquoting the result that states "G/Z(G) cyclic ##\implies## G abelian". I guess you're using this to conclude that ##G/Z(G) = Z_p \times Z_p## in your fourth paragraph.

Anyway, if all you need to know is that a nonabelian group of order p^3 exists, then you can do this: choose x and y in G that generate G/Z(G). Show that they in fact generate G. Since x and y necessarily don't commute (why?), G must be nonabelian.

(In fact, if you go one step further and study the product xy, then you can probably write down G as a semidirect product.)

Last edited:
joeblow said:
For any prime p how do I show that there is a nonabelian group of order p^3?

Since we are dealing with a p-group (call it G), its center is nontrivial (i.e., of order p,p^2, or p^3). Obviously, the center cannot have order p^3 (otherwise it's abelian). Also, if its center has order p^2, then [itex]|G/Z(G)|=p[/itex] implying that G is cyclic and thus abelian. Another no-go.

Thus, [itex]|Z(G)|=p[/itex] and [itex]Z(G) \cong \mathbb{Z}_p [/itex].

Now, I want G to be nonabelian, so I want a G containing Z_p such that [itex]G/\mathbb{Z}_p \cong \mathbb{Z}_p \times \mathbb{Z}_p [/itex] (which would be the only noncyclic group of order p^2).

From here, I have no idea how to recover the original G. Also, semidirect products are off-limits for this problem. (I'm going through an old algebra book and the semidirect product is not introduced till after the section from which this problem comes.)

Any ideas?

First of all, I have no idea how to help you without using semidirect products. Even writing down the specific Cayley Table would be, at

least for me, equivalent to use the semidirect product without mentioning it, or writing the group as generators and relations...all the same.

Here you have some intent at this, but eventually it comes down to semidirect products: http://www.math.chalmers.se/Math/Grundutb/GU/MMA200/A09/group3.pdf

The next paper also gives it a shot, though it begins by stating and proving that there are 5 non-isomorphic groups of order p^3, which is hardly "first principles". He also uses the Heisenberg groups:

http://www.math.uconn.edu/~kconrad/blurbs/grouptheory/groupsp3.pdf

Anyway, what old book are you using and where in it is this problem?

DonAntonio

joeblow said:
Also, semidirect products are off-limits for this problem. (I'm going through an old algebra book and the semidirect product is not introduced till after the section from which this problem comes.)
I can understand not invoking that machinery in your proof, but I see no reason why you wouldn't use the basic idea.

@morphism- In the fourth paragraph, since [itex] |G/Z(G)|=p^2[/itex], it must be abelian. That leaves two possibilities: either [itex]G/Z(G) \cong \mathbb{Z}_{p^2}[/itex] or [itex] G/Z(G) \cong \mathbb{Z}_p \times \mathbb{Z}_p [/itex]. Since [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^2}[/itex] is cyclic, G/Z can only be isomorphic to it if G is abelian, right?

If this is so, and G/Z is abelian, how can I ever find generators of G/Z that don't commute?

@DonAntonio- It's from _Abstract Algebra_ by John Beachy and William Blair. Upon further inspection, semidirect products are not covered in the book at all. (!) I took the class from Prof. Beachy who did cover them during the course, but he must have given us supplemental notes.

@Hurkyl- This problem came from a section on conjugacy and the class equation. I figure there must be something easier since developing direct products would not have much to do with the topic in the section.

joeblow said:
@morphism- In the fourth paragraph, since [itex] |G/Z(G)|=p^2[/itex], it must be abelian. That leaves two possibilities: either [itex]G/Z(G) \cong \mathbb{Z}_{p^2}[/itex] or [itex] G/Z(G) \cong \mathbb{Z}_p \times \mathbb{Z}_p [/itex]. Since [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{p^2}[/itex] is cyclic, G/Z can only be isomorphic to it if G is abelian, right?
Yep, that's right. I made that comment because you said "|G/Z(G)|=p implying that G is cyclic and thus abelian" in the second paragraph (what you should have said is "implying that G/Z is cyclic and thus G must be abelian"), so I wanted to make sure you understood the argument.

If this is so, and G/Z is abelian, how can I ever find generators of G/Z that don't commute?
True - the images of x and y in G/Z will commute. But that doesn't mean x and y (which are elements of G) must commute - and in fact, I'm claiming that they cannot.

By the correspondence theorem, I can show that the normal subgroups of G/Z(G) ([itex] \mathbb{Z}_p \times 0 [/itex] and [itex]0 \times \mathbb{Z}_p [/itex]) correspond to the normal subgroups of G containing Z(G). Since there are two normal subgroups of G/Z(G), there are two distinct normal subgroups of G containing Z(G). The mere existence of these two normal subgroups implies that there are elements in G that are not also in Z(G). Thus, G is nonabelian.

Does this sound like a valid argument? Somehow I doubt it.

Edit: Nope. Totally begged the question. Maybe I can show that the normal subgroups mentioned are such that the intersection is 0 and the sum of the two groups has p^3 elements.

Last edited:
have you played with the unit group of integral quaternions? {±1, ±i, ±j, ±k}.

If you want to continue along the lines of my hint, then try to mimic the proof of the fact that G/Z cyclic => G abelian.

We can assume that the center is nontrivial and thus if G has any hope of being nonabelian at all, then [itex]G/Z(G)\cong \mathbb{Z}_p\times \mathbb{Z}_p[/itex]. However, taking inverse images of the generators of [itex]\mathbb{Z}_p\times\mathbb{Z}_p[/itex] assumes that G is nonabelian to begin with, doesn't it? So, I must not quite understand what you're telling me.

1. What is a nonabelian group of order p^3?

A nonabelian group of order p^3 is a group in abstract algebra that has p^3 elements, where p is a prime number. It is called "nonabelian" because its operation is not commutative, meaning that the order in which the elements are multiplied affects the result.

2. How is a nonabelian group of order p^3 different from an abelian group?

An abelian group is a group where the operation is commutative, meaning that the order in which the elements are multiplied does not affect the result. In contrast, a nonabelian group has a non-commutative operation, making it different from an abelian group.

3. What are some examples of nonabelian groups of order p^3?

Some examples of nonabelian groups of order p^3 include the dihedral group of order 8, the quaternion group of order 8, and the Heisenberg group of order 27. These are just a few of the many possible nonabelian groups of order p^3.

4. How do nonabelian groups of order p^3 relate to other mathematical concepts?

Nonabelian groups of order p^3 are closely related to other concepts in mathematics, such as group theory, abstract algebra, and number theory. They are also used in various fields of physics, including quantum mechanics and string theory.

5. What are the applications of studying nonabelian groups of order p^3?

Studying nonabelian groups of order p^3 has many practical applications in mathematics, physics, and other sciences. For example, they are used in cryptography to create secure codes and in chemistry to understand molecular structures. They also have applications in computer science, coding theory, and other areas of research and technology.