Nondimensionlization of Pressure

• Thread starter hanson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways of non-dimensionlising pressure in fluid mechanics. One method is to use density*gravity*H as a characteristic scale, while another is to use density*U^2. The latter is commonly used in situations involving pressure differences, such as in cavitation analyses. The third version mentioned uses a reference pressure and the vapor pressure of the working fluid. The Euler number is also mentioned as a useful dimensionless number when dealing with pressure differences. Omega Engineering offers a poster with a variety of dimensionless numbers and their uses.
hanson
Hi all.
When I read through text in fluid mechanics, I see various ways of non-dimensionlising the pressure. (Please see the figure)

To me, non-dimensionlize a quantity is to make it of order unity to facilitate the mathematical processes needed afterwards.
So, I can understand why density*gravity*H is used as a characteristic scale to non-dimensionlize the pressure since it is the maximum hydrostatic pressure.

But I don't understand why density*U^2 is used to non-dimensionalize the pressure as well? In what situation is this nondimensionlization valid?

What about the P(infinity), what is it?

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 421
Engineering news on Phys.org
The second two numbers are actually referred to as the Euler number (ref http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_number_(physics)). It is another dimensionless number. I don't really use it myself (I don't need to stray too much from the Reynolds number), but my handy, dandy fluids reference lists it as a useful number when dealing with pressure differences, such as in cavitation analyses. Actually, the third version you show is what is listed for a cavitation analysis (without a .5 factor) where the P is actually a reference pressure and the [tex]P_{\infinity}[/tex] is the vapor pressure of the working fluid.

Omega Engineering has a neat poster you can request that has a ton of dimensionless numbers and their uses. You can also look at a lot of them here on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Dimensionless_numbers

FredGarvin said:
The second two numbers are actually referred to as the Euler number (ref http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler_number_(physics)). It is another dimensionless number. I don't really use it myself (I don't need to stray too much from the Reynolds number), but my handy, dandy fluids reference lists it as a useful number when dealing with pressure differences, such as in cavitation analyses. Actually, the third version you show is what is listed for a cavitation analysis (without a .5 factor) where the P is actually a reference pressure and the [tex]P_{\infinity}[/tex] is the vapor pressure of the working fluid.

Omega Engineering has a neat poster you can request that has a ton of dimensionless numbers and their uses. You can also look at a lot of them here on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Dimensionless_numbers

Thanks. But why density * U^2 is used to non-dimensionlize the pressure? I don't understand the rationale behind...

What is Nondimensionalization of Pressure?

Nondimensionalization of Pressure is a mathematical process used to remove units from a physical quantity, such as pressure, in order to simplify equations and make them more generalizable.

Why is Nondimensionalization of Pressure important in science?

Nondimensionalization of Pressure allows scientists to focus on the underlying relationships and principles of a system without being bogged down by specific units. It also allows for easier comparison and analysis of different systems.

What are the steps involved in Nondimensionalization of Pressure?

The first step is to identify the relevant variables and constants in the equation involving pressure. Then, the units of each variable are removed by dividing by an appropriate unit of measurement. Finally, the resulting equation is rearranged to create a dimensionless quantity.

What are some common examples of Nondimensionalization of Pressure in scientific research?

Nondimensionalization of Pressure is commonly used in fluid mechanics, particularly in the study of flow over a surface. It is also used in thermodynamics, heat transfer, and other engineering fields.

What are some potential limitations of Nondimensionalization of Pressure?

While Nondimensionalization of Pressure can be a useful tool, it is important to consider the physical significance of the resulting dimensionless quantity. It is also possible to lose important information or overlook certain aspects of a system by removing units.