1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nonlinear system

1. Aug 24, 2015 #1
    I have this system of equation: [tex] A = \frac{\alpha + \beta + \gamma}{3}[/tex] [tex] B = \sqrt[2]{\frac{\beta \gamma + \gamma \alpha + \alpha \beta}{3}}[/tex] [tex] C = \sqrt[3]{\alpha \beta \gamma}[/tex] And I want to solve this system for α, β and γ. In other words, I want to express α, β and γ in terms of A, B and C.

[tex] \alpha = \alpha (A,B,C)[/tex][tex] \beta = \beta (A,B,C)[/tex][tex] \gamma = \gamma (A,B,C)[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is your question or discussion point?
    There is an obvious way to start solving it.

4. Aug 24, 2015 #3
    If α and β are the roots of the quadratic equation and A and B are the arithmetic and geometric mean, respectively, so, the quadratic formula becomes: [tex] A \pm \sqrt{A^2-B^2} [/tex]. I'm trying to solve the cubic equation in the same way...

5. Aug 25, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would introduce new variables for B2 and C3. Solving the third equation for one variable and plugging it into another equation gives a quadratic equation for a second variable, which can be plugged into the third equation. If that has a degree of at most 4, there is an analytic solution in closed form, otherwise I doubt there is a way to solve it (because a solution would then probably allow to solve equations that are proven to have no closed analytic solution).

6. Aug 26, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So, essentially, you want to solve
    [tex]\alpha+ \beta+ \gamma= 3A[/tex]
    [tex]\alpha\beta+ \alpha\gamma+ \beta\gamma= 9B^2[/tex]
    [tex]\alpha\beta\gamma= C^3[/tex]
    and since A, B, and C are given values, so are 3A, [itex]9B^2[/itex], and [itex]C^3[/itex].

From [itex]\alpha\beta\gamma=C^3[/itex], [itex]\gamma= \frac{C^3}{\alpha\beta}[/itex]
    so [itex]\alpha\beta+ \frac{C^3}{\beta}+ \frac{C^3}{\alpha}= 9B^2[/itex]
    Multiplying by [itex]\alpha\beta[/itex], [itex]\alpha^2\beta^2+ C^3\alpha+ C^3\beta= 9B^2\alpha\beta[/itex].

We can write that as [itex]\alpha^2\beta^2+ C^3\beta+ (C^3\alpha- 9B^2\alpha)= 0[/itex] and use the quadratic formula to solve for [itex]\beta[/itex] in terms of [itex]\alpha[/itex], then put that into [itex]\gamma= \frac{C^3}{\alpha\beta}[/itex] to get [itex]\gamma[/itex] in terms of [itex]\alpha[/itex] only.

Finally, put those into [itex]\alpha+ \beta+ \gamma= 3A[/itex] to get an equation in [itex]\alpha[/itex] only.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook