oneofmany said:
Can you give me a nonselfish reason to study pure mathematics? How does one justify spending an entire life pushing around symbols and definitions which may have no connection to the physical world? I enjoy doing math, but I also enjoy playing chess and minesweeper, and even if someone were to pay me, I don't know that I could justify spending my entire life playing these games if I weren't one of the top players in the world.
Good question; I wish I could give you an answer!
I can certainly tell you why I personally started studying math. Back in 11th grade when I took my first algebra-based physics class, it raised a lot of questions about why certain formulas popped up. For example, I wondered why the moment of inertia of a cylinder is [tex]\frac{1}{2}mr^2[/tex], how the exact gravitational force between two non-spherical bodies could be computed, and why Maxwell's Equations were "forbidden territory" so as to not even appear on the section of my algebra-based book entitled "Maxwell's Equations.". That's why in college, I decided to take as many math courses as I could. It turned out that all the "big" questions that I had could be answered in a mere two years of calculus. To be honest, after taking several senior level courses in math (enough, actually, that I picked up a math degree as a physics undergrad), I figured out that I didn't really like math as much as I thought I did.
Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't
hate math. And I can certainly understand why Complexphilosophy views math as an art. Indeed I can understand the appeal in elegantly constructing mathematical logic. But I certainly couldn't imagine doing math for a living, especially when I could be doing physics instead. Physics, and indeed all science, is directly applicable to the physical world, and it has predictive power. Math, at least in my mind, tends to be dry and boring. Alas, some people actually like doing it.
But from what I know, it turns out that many mathematicians end up working on problems in applied mathematics. So in a way, those guys turn into scientists too.