Noob needs help designing a simple on/off timing circuit

In summary, a good DIYer could probably make this type of circuit, but would need to be familiar with circuitry and thermodynamics.
studbike
I am a good DIYer, so I know I have the skills to solder a circuit together, but I can't design anything! Hoping a kind soul here can shed some light.

I have a space heater that is being used to heat a very small space, and the problem is that on its lowest setting once the area comes up to temp there is still so much residual heat left in the heater that the area coasts up a few more degrees than desired. I want to design a 120v circuit that will cycle the heater on and off, effectively reducing the power output. For example, on and off every 30 seconds may be a good place to start, or on for 20 seconds and then off for 40, continuously. It has to be mechanical, or analog, meaning, it can't use any kind of logic because when the desired temperature is reached the power is removed (its hooked up to a temperature-sensing relay).

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Something like this, I reckon?

Diac-Heat-Control-Circuit-300x175.jpg

This one is a bit more sophisticated, and uses a temperature sensor (LM35) to control the heater. By the way, BT136 will only support a pretty small heater (4A @ 110V = 400W); you'll probably need a bigger TRIAC.

electronic-heater-controller-550x328.gif

There is a device called a simmerstat which does exactly what you need.

You have probably seen them on electric heaters and ovens.
They have a knob on the front and this varies the duty cycle of the output.

Have a look here for some pictures:
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...313&_nkw=simmerstat&_sacat=See-All-Categories

You would have to locate one for your voltage and with enough current switching ability.

I have added these to equipment and they worked OK.

In process control it is common to place the thermostat very close to the heater so that it arrives at temperature slightly before the process does. In your case the 'process' is your space.
By judicious tinkering one can make the "coast" deliver just what he wants. That's called "Feed Forward", and is closely related to oft-mentioned "derivative control action".

So, before building a complex electronic gizmo i'd experiment with creative ductwork, just keep it away from the red hot parts.

If you can't find a simmerstat then following on fsb, get a simple triac dimmer meant for lighting at the hardware store. Mount it in a junction box with an outlet and you're good to go.

Make sure it's rated for at least the wattage of the heater but 1500 watt dimmers are common and cheap.

thanks for the great suggestions! i originally wanted to build a circuit and the simmerstat looks great, but the idea of just hooking it up to a dimmer has sort of blown my mind w/ its simplicity. Tomorrow I'm going to try just that, and i'll put my kill-a-watt between the circuit and the outlet and see how effectively it reduces the output.

update: I found an "infinite switch" on ebay for $6 including shipping. I'm going to give this a try, and report back.

Last edited:

1. How can I design a simple on/off timing circuit?

To design a simple on/off timing circuit, you will need to first determine the desired timing interval and select appropriate components such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors. Then, you can use a 555 timer IC or an Arduino microcontroller to create the circuit and program it to control the on/off timing.

2. What components do I need for a basic on/off timing circuit?

The basic components needed for an on/off timing circuit include a power source, a timer IC or microcontroller, resistors, capacitors, and transistors. You may also need additional components depending on the specific design and functionality of your circuit.

3. Can I use a microcontroller instead of a timer IC for my on/off timing circuit?

Yes, you can use a microcontroller such as an Arduino to create your on/off timing circuit. This may provide more flexibility and customization options for your circuit compared to using a timer IC.

4. How do I calculate the timing interval for my circuit?

The timing interval for your circuit can be calculated using the formula t = 1.1 x R x C, where t is the timing interval in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. You can adjust the values of R and C to achieve your desired timing interval.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when designing an on/off timing circuit?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when designing and working with any electronic circuit. This includes wearing appropriate protective gear, using a properly rated power source, and double-checking your circuit for any potential hazards before powering it on.