Norm and Rows of Complex Matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses strategies for showing that the rows of an n x n matrix A with complex entries are an orthonormal basis of C^n. One method suggested is to choose interesting vectors x based on the elements of A, such as setting x to be a column of the adjoint of A. Another method is to consider the inner product of the row vectors of A with themselves, and use the fact that the norm of Ax must equal the norm of x. By recognizing that these inner products are non-negative, it can be concluded that the rows of A must be orthonormal.
Yagoda

Homework Statement

I want to show that for an n x n matrix A with complex entries, if [itex]\left\|Ax\right\|=\left\|x\right\|[/itex] for any vector x in C^n, then the rows of A are an orthonormal basis of C^n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All I've managed to do so far is show that the columns of A all have length 1, which you can get by taking x to be e1. Is there a strategy of showing this for the rows and for showing orthogonality without having to write out the terms of the matrix multiplication Ax (I tried this and quickly became bogged down in notation)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of interesting choices for the vector x based on the elements of A?

I tried letting x be a column of the adjoint of A. This way when you multiply Ax, if your x is the ith column of the adjoint then the ith entry of the vector Ax is equivalent to the inner product <x,x>. But when you go to take the inner product <Ax,Ax> to find the norm of Ax I end up with a jumble of sums of entries of A being multiplied by each other so I'm not sure where to go from here. Am I on the right track?

Thanks.

Okay, suppose I'm setting x to be the first columns of the adjoint of A. Then when I take <Ax,Ax> the first term is <x,x>*<x,x> and the rest of the terms are the inner product of the first row of A with another term of A. Since we know that [itex]\left\|Ax\right\|=\left\|x\right\|[/itex] is it too fast for me to make the jump to saying that <x,x> must equal 1 in order for ||Ax|| to equal ||x|| and subsequently all the other terms must be 0? It seems like there should be more justification in between those steps, but I can't seem to put my finger on it.

Yagoda said:
Okay, suppose I'm setting x to be the first columns of the adjoint of A. Then when I take <Ax,Ax> the first term is <x,x>*<x,x> and the rest of the terms are the inner product of the first row of A with another term of A.
Yes. If the row vectors of A are a1..an and x = a1T, you have <a1,a1>2+<a1,a2>2+... You know that <a1,a2>2 etc are non-negative, so...?

Ah, yes. I was getting bogged down in notation and missing the bigger picture. Thanks.

1. What is the norm of a complex matrix?

The norm of a complex matrix is a measure of its magnitude or size. It is calculated by finding the square root of the sum of squares of all the elements in the matrix. In other words, it represents the length of the longest vector that can be formed by multiplying the matrix with a vector of appropriate dimensions.

2. How is the norm of a complex matrix different from that of a real matrix?

The norm of a complex matrix takes into account the magnitude of both the real and imaginary components of the matrix, whereas the norm of a real matrix only considers the magnitude of the real components. This means that the norm of a complex matrix can be larger than the norm of a real matrix even if they have the same number of elements.

3. What is the significance of the norm of a complex matrix?

The norm of a complex matrix is used to measure the error or difference between two matrices. It is also a useful tool for determining the convergence of iterative algorithms and for solving optimization problems.

4. Can the norm of a complex matrix ever be negative?

No, the norm of a complex matrix is always a positive value. This is because it is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of squares, which always results in a positive value.

5. What are the rows of a complex matrix?

The rows of a complex matrix are the horizontal lines of elements that make up the matrix. Each row represents a different vector, and together they form the basis for the entire matrix. The number of rows in a matrix is equal to its number of dimensions.