1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Norm of a Matrix

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] be an m x n matrix and [itex]\lambda = \max\{ |a_{ij}| : 1 \leq i \leq m, 1 \leq j \leq n \}[/itex].

Show that the norm of the matrix [itex]||\textbf{A}|| \leq \lambda \sqrt{mn}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    The definition I have of the norm is that [itex]||\textbf{A}||[/itex] is the smallest number such that [itex]|\textbf{Ax}| \leq ||\textbf{A}|| \, |\textbf{x}|[/itex] for all [itex]\textbf{x}[/itex] in ℝn.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I let [itex]\textbf{y} = \textbf{Ax} [/itex] and so [itex]|\textbf{y}| = \sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^{m}y_i^2}[/itex].
    I started by looking at a matrix [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] with all the same entries so that any entry could be thought of as [itex]\lambda[/itex]. So when you calculate [itex]|\textbf{y}|[/itex] you will get [itex]m \lambda^2[/itex]'s under the radical along with sum of the [itex]x_1, \dots, x_n[/itex] squared. So in the more general case that not all the entires of [itex]\textbf{A}[/itex] are equal I can see how [itex]\lambda[/itex] would provide an upper bound.
    But I'm having trouble seeing how the [itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex] comes into it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2013 #2
    So let A = ##\begin{pmatrix}
    a& a & a \\
    a & a & a\\
    \end{pmatrix}##

(It's easier to type a than ##\lambda##)

and multiply it by X = (x,y,z). You get AX = ##\begin{pmatrix}
    ax +& ay + & az \\
    ax+ & ay + & az\\
    \end{pmatrix}##

You started correctly computing the ||AX|| and got to where |AX| = a##\sqrt 2 \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}##.

To see where the n comes in take X = (1,1,1,). Now what is ||AX|| less than?

In finishing up, keep in mind that the < must work for every possible X. So it is perfectly possible there is an X which forces ||A|| lower. This is a bound, but for a given A it may not be the least upper bound.

4. Nov 17, 2013 #3
    If X = (1,1,1) then [itex]|\textbf{Ax}| = a \sqrt{2}\sqrt{3}[/itex], but I guess I am missing what happens if X is a different vector, say (1,2,3). Then [itex]|\textbf{Ax}| = a \sqrt{2}\sqrt{14}[/itex], which isn't less than [itex] a \sqrt{2}\sqrt{3}[/itex]. I think in this case [itex]\textbf{||A||}= \frac{a\sqrt{72}}{\sqrt{14}}[/itex] so in this case [itex]\textbf{||A||} \, \textbf{|x|}< \lambda \sqrt{mn} [/itex]. But my trouble is generalizing it.

5. Nov 17, 2013 #4
    After fiddling a little bit with the inequalities, it seems like in the general case it would be helpful to show that [itex]\frac{x_1 + x_2 + \dots + x_n}{\sqrt{x_1^2 + \dots + x_n^2}} < \sqrt{n}[/itex].
    Would this be a proper approach? And if so, is there some glaringly obvious fact I'm missing that would help me show this?

6. Nov 17, 2013 #5
    Let X = ##(x_1,x_2,x_3)##. Let |x| be the largest of the 3 components. From our previous work we have ||AX|| ## \le a \sqrt 2 \sqrt {x_1^2+x_2^2 + x_3^2} \le a \sqrt 2 \sqrt 3 |x|##.

Go back to your definition of ||AX||. This is the smallest number C such that ##||Ax|| \le C ||x||## for every vector X. We have shown (generalizing from the 3x2 case) that there is one vector x = (1,1,1...) such that ||Ax|| ## \le a \sqrt m \sqrt n |x| \le a \sqrt m \sqrt n||X||##. So there is no way that C can be greater than ##a \sqrt m \sqrt n##. It could be smaller than that, which is why we have the inequality.

All this computation depended on A consisting of all a's. To finish up, you need to redo this deduction when A has varying entries ##a_{ij}##. In this case, choose ##a = max|a_{ij}|## and proceed more or less as we did before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted