Normal approximation for the proportion P hat

In summary, the probability that the proportion of the class that favors the policy is no more than two-thirds is .68.
ChrisBlack

Homework Statement

68% of students favor a new policy, we are interested in the proportion of 45 students in a math class who favor the same policy.

What is the probability that the proportion of the class that favors the policy is no more than two-thirds?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the mean, .68, and the standard deviation, .047. I don't know where to take it from here though

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisBlack said:

Homework Statement

68% of students favor a new policy, we are interested in the proportion of 45 students in a math class who favor the same policy.

What is the probability that the proportion of the class that favors the policy is no more than two-thirds?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the mean, .68, and the standard deviation, .047. I don't know where to take it from here though

If the proportion of the class in favor is no more than 2/3, what does that say about the _number_ of students in favor? What is the probability distribution of the number (out of 45) who are in favor? Note: the number in favor can be 0 or 1 or 2 or ... or 45; I am asking you to describe a formula for the probability that k students are in favor, for any of the 46 values of k. What are the mean and standard deviation of the number in favor?

Once you have dealt with these questions you will be in a better position to know what to do next.

RGV

So no more than 30 students can favor it. This does not sound like anything I have done in class so far, does it have to do anything with the fact that 68% of the data falls within 2 standard deviations of the mean?

ChrisBlack said:
So no more than 30 students can favor it. This does not sound like anything I have done in class so far, does it have to do anything with the fact that 68% of the data falls within 2 standard deviations of the mean?

I don't know what you have done so far, so that is why I asked the questions in my previous post. Do you know the distribution of the number if favor? Maybe you do, without even realizing it. Let's work through it slowly. Instead of asking about the number of students in 45 that are in favor, suppose instead I asked about tossing coins or dice. In fact, suppose I have a biased coin, with probability p = 0.68 of falling 'heads' in each toss. I toss it 45 times and count the resulting number of 'heads'. Do you agree this is the same problem? Have you seen before the distribution of the number of 'heads' in coin tossing?

I'll wait for your answers before continuing.

RGV

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, i can see how that is the same problem and i have worked with the distribution of coin tosses. So far all I have really done is identify the variables, N (number of students, 45) P (.68), q (.32) standard deviation (.047), and mean (.68). I have to sleep so I will check back tomorrow. I really appreciate your help, thanks!

FAQ: Normal approximation for the proportion P hat

1. What is "Normal approximation for the proportion P hat"?

Normal approximation for the proportion P hat is a statistical method used to approximate the distribution of a sample proportion to a normal distribution. It is often used in hypothesis testing and confidence interval calculations.

2. When is "Normal approximation for the proportion P hat" used?

"Normal approximation for the proportion P hat" is used when dealing with categorical data, specifically when the sample size is large (typically n≥30). This method is also used when the population proportion is unknown.

3. How is "Normal approximation for the proportion P hat" calculated?

To calculate "Normal approximation for the proportion P hat", the sample proportion (p-hat) is first calculated by dividing the number of successes in the sample by the sample size. Then, the mean of the sample proportion is calculated by multiplying p-hat by the sample size. Finally, the standard deviation is calculated using the formula √(p-hat(1-p-hat)/n).

4. What is the purpose of using "Normal approximation for the proportion P hat"?

The purpose of using "Normal approximation for the proportion P hat" is to simplify the calculations and make them more accurate when dealing with categorical data. It allows for the use of normal distribution tables and formulas, which are widely available and easy to use.

5. What are the assumptions for using "Normal approximation for the proportion P hat"?

The assumptions for using "Normal approximation for the proportion P hat" include a large sample size (n≥30), independent observations, and a population proportion that is not too close to 0 or 1. Violating these assumptions can lead to inaccurate results, so it is important to check them before using this method.