How Do I Solve for the Normal Force in this Cart Problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the normal force exerted on a cart pulled by a rope at a constant speed. The correct formula for finding the normal force is N=mg, but in this case, the forces in the y-direction do not cancel out due to the inclined rope and the force due to the rope has components in both the x-direction and y-direction. Therefore, N will not equal mg. Drawing a free body force diagram and considering all forces, including the y-component of the force due to the rope, is necessary to solve this problem accurately.
|345+4|2D
hi, i know its a really easy thing to figure out normal force or at least i might have been mislead.

Here's the problem

A cart loaded with bricks has a total mass of 24.9 kg and is pulled at constant speed by a rope. The rope is inclined at 21.8* degrees above the horizontal and the cart moves 13.9 m on a horizontal floor. The coefficient of kinetic friction between ground and cart is 0.549.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. What is the normal force exerted on the cart by the floor. Answer in units of N.

Ok this is what i did, i said n = mg. (which i could've swore is right -- since its in the book and the study guide book in like 5 different places). so i got n = 244.02 N. Tell me please -- am i finding the wrong thing? because n is normal force, correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram. All forces should cancel out (F = ma, F = 0 <=> v = constant).
With N = mg forces in y-direction do not equal 0 (inclined rope). So, N is not mg.

In this case, N will not be mg.
It really is very useful to draw the Free body force diagram for any problem of this type. Once you do that, draw the forces acting on the cart.
Notice that the force due to the rope has components in both the x-direction AND the y-direction.
So, when you say the net force (sum of all the forces) is zero in the y-direction, you will have to include the y-component of the force due to the rope!
So, you will not get N=mg.

FAQ: How Do I Solve for the Normal Force in this Cart Problem?

1. How do I solve for normal force?

To solve for normal force, you will need to use the equation FN = mg*cosθ, where FN is the normal force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the surface. First, determine the values of m, g, and θ for your specific scenario. Then, plug in those values into the equation and solve for FN.

2. What is the significance of normal force?

Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. It is perpendicular to the surface and prevents objects from passing through each other. Normal force is essential in understanding the equilibrium of an object on a surface and is often used in solving problems involving friction and motion.

3. Can I assume that the normal force is always equal to the weight of an object?

No, the normal force is not always equal to the weight of an object. It is only equal to the weight of an object if the surface is horizontal and there is no acceleration. In other cases, such as when the surface is inclined or there is acceleration, the normal force will be different from the weight of the object.

4. How does an object's weight affect the normal force?

An object's weight does not directly affect the normal force. However, the normal force is dependent on the weight of an object in the sense that it is equal to the weight only when there is no acceleration and the surface is horizontal. In other scenarios, the normal force will be affected by other factors such as the angle of the surface and the presence of other forces.

5. What happens to the normal force when the surface is inclined?

When the surface is inclined, the normal force will be less than the weight of the object. This is because the weight is acting downward, while the normal force is perpendicular to the surface. The amount of decrease in the normal force will depend on the angle of inclination, with a greater decrease for steeper inclines.

Back