1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal form of p.d.e?

1. Jun 10, 2006 #1
    how do you change the following p.d.e to normal form and solve it?
    uxx -4uxy+3uyy=0?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How would you eliminate the "xy" term in x2- 4xy+ 3y2= 0 in order to determine what type of conic it was?

One method would be to write it as a matrix formula:
    [tex]\left( \begin{array} {cc} x & y \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array} {cc} 1 & -2 \\-2 & 3 \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array} {c} x \\ y \end{array}\right)= 0[/tex]
    and find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The eigenvector point in the "characteristic directions" and taking your axes in those directions reduces to "normal form".

With a PDE, the same thing happens: using the characteristic directions as the new variables reduces the equation to normal form.

This is the second problem in a row in which you have essentially said "how do I solve partial differential equations". What have you learned in class so far?

4. Jun 10, 2006 #3
    why would you think of writing it as a matrix formula?

5. Jun 10, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I said that was one method.

I'll ask again: "How would you eliminate the "xy" term in [itex]x^2- 4xy+ 3y^2= 0[/itex] in order to determine what type of conic it was?"

6. Jun 11, 2006 #5
    shift the x and y values?

7. Jun 11, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea what you mean by "shift the x and y values". My point was that eliminating the uxy in a pde is essentially the same as eliminating the xy term in a conic (by rotating the coordinate system) and wanted to know if you knew how to do that.

8. Jun 16, 2006 #7
    i've looked that part up~ thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?