Solving a P.D.E in Normal Form: Tips and Tricks

In summary, to eliminate the "xy" term in a conic or a PDE, one method is to write it as a matrix formula and find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. This allows us to determine the characteristic directions and reduce the equation to normal form. Another method is to shift the x and y values, which involves rotating the coordinate system. It is important to understand these methods in order to solve partial differential equations.
asdf1
how do you change the following p.d.e to normal form and solve it?
uxx -4uxy+3uyy=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you eliminate the "xy" term in x2- 4xy+ 3y2= 0 in order to determine what type of conic it was?

One method would be to write it as a matrix formula:
[tex]\left( \begin{array} {cc} x & y \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array} {cc} 1 & -2 \\-2 & 3 \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array} {c} x \\ y \end{array}\right)= 0[/tex]
and find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. The eigenvector point in the "characteristic directions" and taking your axes in those directions reduces to "normal form".

With a PDE, the same thing happens: using the characteristic directions as the new variables reduces the equation to normal form.

This is the second problem in a row in which you have essentially said "how do I solve partial differential equations". What have you learned in class so far?

why would you think of writing it as a matrix formula?

I said that was one method.

I'll ask again: "How would you eliminate the "xy" term in [itex]x^2- 4xy+ 3y^2= 0[/itex] in order to determine what type of conic it was?"

shift the x and y values?

I have no idea what you mean by "shift the x and y values". My point was that eliminating the uxy in a pde is essentially the same as eliminating the xy term in a conic (by rotating the coordinate system) and wanted to know if you knew how to do that.

i've looked that part up~ thank you very much!

1. What is a P.D.E in normal form?

A P.D.E in normal form is a partial differential equation that has been rewritten in a specific standard form, with the highest order derivatives appearing in the equation. This form is important for solving P.D.Es as it allows for the use of specific techniques and methods.

2. What are some tips for solving a P.D.E in normal form?

Some tips for solving a P.D.E in normal form include using separation of variables, transforming the equation into a simpler form, and applying boundary conditions. It is also helpful to understand the underlying physical problem and the behavior of the solution.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a P.D.E in normal form?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a P.D.E in normal form include incorrect application of boundary conditions, not simplifying the equation enough, and not considering the physical meaning of the solution. It is important to double check all steps and make sure they align with the given problem.

4. How can I check if my solution to a P.D.E in normal form is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also compare your solution to known solutions or use numerical methods to approximate the solution.

5. Are there any tricks for solving difficult P.D.Es in normal form?

Some tricks for solving difficult P.D.Es in normal form include using symmetry arguments, transforming the equation into a simpler form, and using integral transforms. It is also helpful to break the problem down into smaller parts and solve each part separately.