Normal Modes & Frequencies for Suspended Spring System: Masses 3m & 2m

In summary, the problem involves two particles P and Q suspended by springs of equal strength alpha. The system moves vertically through a fixed point O. The task is to find the normal frequencies and form of the normal modes for this system, as well as the general form of motion. The equations for this system are derived and simplified using the equations of motion and the value of n^2 is found to be equal to alpha/m. However, there may be errors in the setup of the equations as indicated by the poster's difficulty in identifying them.
Benzoate

Homework Statement

A particle P of mass 3m is suspended from a fixed point O by a massless linear spring with strength alpha. A second particle Q of mass 2m is in turn suspended from P by a second spring of the same strength. The system moves in the vertical straight lie through O . Find the normal frequencies and the form of the normal modes for this system. Write down the form of the general motion.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

3mx''= -alpha*x+alpha*(y-x)

2my''= -alpha*(y-x)

dividing out m, my set of equations looks like:

3x''+2xn^2-yn^2=0

2y''+yn^2+xn^2=0
n^2=alpha/m
Let x=A cos(omega*t-gamma) and y= B cos(omega*t-gamma)

x''=-A*omega^2*cos(omega*t-gamma)
y''=-B*omega^2*cos(omega*t-gamma)

plugging x'' and y'' into two equations I get:

3(-A*omega^2)+2(A)n^2-(B)n^2=0
2(-B*omega^2])+Bn^2+ An^2=0

-omega^2*n^2+n^4=0

There is something wrong with how I set up my equations and I cannot spot my errors.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone having trouble reading my problem?

Yeah I think you should rewrite it in LaTeX, I had a hard time trying to read it. I guess x(double dot) means second derivative of x? You should definitely retype it though, makes it easier for anyone who can help you.

JasonJo said:
Yeah I think you should rewrite it in LaTeX, I had a hard time trying to read it. I guess x(double dot) means second derivative of x? You should definitely retype it though, makes it easier for anyone who can help you.

I edited my OP. Are you able to read it any better?

1. What are normal modes in a suspended spring system?

Normal modes refer to the natural oscillatory patterns or frequencies of a system. In a suspended spring system, the normal modes are the different ways in which the masses attached to the springs can oscillate.

2. How do you calculate the frequencies of a suspended spring system?

The frequencies of a suspended spring system can be calculated by using the equation f = 1/2π * √(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass attached to the spring.

3. What is the significance of the masses in a suspended spring system?

The masses in a suspended spring system determine the frequencies of the normal modes. The larger the mass, the lower the frequency and the slower the oscillations. The smaller the mass, the higher the frequency and the faster the oscillations.

4. How does changing the spring constant affect the normal modes and frequencies?

Changing the spring constant will alter the stiffness of the springs, which will in turn affect the frequencies of the normal modes. A higher spring constant will result in higher frequencies and faster oscillations, while a lower spring constant will result in lower frequencies and slower oscillations.

5. Can the normal modes and frequencies of a suspended spring system be manipulated?

Yes, the normal modes and frequencies of a suspended spring system can be manipulated by changing the masses or the spring constant. This can also be achieved by adding or removing springs from the system.