1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalising simplified proton distribution

1. Oct 5, 2006 #1
    I tried asking this question in the maths help, but am still stuck.

Q. For a simplified model of a proton's charge distribution, (where R can be considered as some characteristic "size" of the proton):

[tex] \rho [/tex](r) [tex] \propto [/tex] [tex](1/r)[/tex]Exp(- r / R) where R is some characteristic size of the proton.

With some help I've figured the integral to this solution is the exponentialintegral: Ei(-r/R) in the past when I'm asked to normalise something I'd take the limits from infinity to -infinity and find N so the probability is 1, here though the exponential integral can't be normalised from what I can see. Any pointers would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2006 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

d^3r in spherical coords with no angular dependence is 4 pi r^2dr so the integral rho r^2 dr converges.
  4. Oct 5, 2006 #3

[tex] \rho [/tex](r) = (4pi r^2 dr).(1/r)Exp(-r / R)

Integral from infinity to 0 of |[tex] \rho [/tex](r)|^2 = N^2 . [(1/r^2).Exp(-2r / R)]

is 1 = N^2. (4pi) [1 / (-2/R)] = N^2 .2piR => N = 1 / sqrt(2.pi.R)
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?