1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Norton's Theorem and Thevenin's theorem

1. Dec 11, 2014 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For some reason I don't use this theorem since Thevenin's theorem is more common. I'm asked to find the Norton equivalent source between the terminals ##A## and ##B## for the following:

Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 4.23.33 PM.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The first step is to short ##R_2##, and to find the short circuit current across that wiring.

Screen Shot 2014-12-11 at 4.23.33 PM.png

I believe KCL at the node above the ##3 mA## would be useful:

##\sum I = 0 \Rightarrow 3mA + I_{sc} - I_R = 0 \Rightarrow I_{sc} = I_R - 3mA = \frac{V_{Node} + 20V}{4k} - 3mA##

Now ##V_{Node}## is the voltage across the ##3 mA##. Applying KVL around the left loop using the current source as a constraint:

##\sum V = 0 \Rightarrow 20V + V_R + V_{Node} = 0 \Rightarrow V_{Node} = -(20V + V_R) = -(20V + (3mA)(4k)) = - 32V##

This implies that ##I_{sc} = \frac{-32V + 20V}{4k} - 3mA = - 6mA##.

Is this reasonable?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2014 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You went astray when you wrote equations with ##V_{Node}##. The short circuit forces ##V_{Node}## to be zero volts. If you think about the Superposition Principle you can take advantage of that, since it makes calculating the current contribution of the 20 V source quite simple.

If I may suggest another approach? Start by converting the 20V source and R1 to their Norton equivalent. Then take advantage of parallel connections to simplify...

4. Dec 11, 2014 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Ah source transforms, those are awfully useful and I hardly ever use them.

First, ##V = -IR \Rightarrow I = \frac{-20V}{4k} = -5mA## so ##-5mA## points up or ##5mA## points down. Also, the ##5 mA## is in parallel with the ##4k## now.

So the combined current in parallel is ##-5mA + 3mA = -2mA##. This is the only current in this new circuit (comprised of the current source, 4k resistor and shorted 6k resistor). Hence ##I_{sc} = -2mA##.

Now going back to the original circuit, short circuiting the voltage and open circuiting the current source, we find:

##R_{th} = (\frac{1}{4k} + \frac{1}{6k})^{-1} = \frac{12k}{5}##

Hence the norton equivalent would be ##-2mA## pointing up in parallel with ##R_{th}##.

5. Dec 11, 2014 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

There you go! Much less brain sweat required :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted