1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin's Theorem with Source Transforms

1. Dec 12, 2014 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was able to find the Thevenin equivalent between ##A## and ##B## using loop analysis and then Ohm's law:

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 3.38.19 PM.png

The Thevenin equivalent was ##V_{th} = -4.0 V## in series with ##R_{th} = 0.8 k##.

Now I had a question about solving the problem using a different approach. I realized now source transforms are a sort of "corollary" to Thevenin and Norton's theorems. So I was wondering if it was possible to use those in solving this problem.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From what I can understand, first I should use ##V = IR \Rightarrow I = \frac{5}{2} mA##. Then I could have a current source in parallel with the ##2k## on the left.

Now ##R_{eq} = (\frac{1}{2k} + \frac{1}{4k})^{-1} = \frac{4k}{3}##.

So I have that ##\frac{5}{2} mA## in parallel with ##\frac{4k}{3}##.

From this point I have not been able to continue using source transforms to simplify to the correct answer. Is it just not possible? Or is it a combination I'm not seeing?

I see that superposition would be useful from this point as well, but I want to know if it's possible with source transforms.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2014 #2
    Convert ##\frac{5}{2} mA## in parallel with ##\frac{4k}{3}## back into a voltage source of 10/3 volts in series with a resistance of 4000/3 ohms. Now you have 2 voltage sources in series with two resistors. Slide the 4000/3 ohm resistor to the right so it's just above the 2k output resistor. Those two resistors form a voltage divider driven by the difference in the two voltage sources.

I get Vth = -4V

4. Dec 12, 2014 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I tried this earlier, but I messed the numbers up and it didn't spit the right answer out.

Reading your post and going back to it, I face-palmed and realized my mistake. I now get the same answer in 10 different ways so I should be good.

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted