Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nose cone design

1. Aug 14, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I stumbled across this while looking for something else.

This might be of interest to AE's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nose_cone_design

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2006 #2
    Is there anything Wikipedia doesn't have these days? ;) Very nice, though, I've never seen that topic covered in much detail.

4. Aug 14, 2006 #3

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a pity they don't mention anything about the influence of the shape on the flow field. That's a nice analytical problem. Sometimes in AE one has to work out the shape of the cone that has produced a particular flow field (inverse design).

5. Aug 15, 2006 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Most of the time in our area, we are more concerned with simply not creating any disturbances in the inlet flow rather than creating a particular flow field. I can't say what method our aero guys use to determine our nose cone profiles.

6. Aug 15, 2006 #5

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi Fred,

In my opinion the inverse design is nicer, isn't it? It's like the pure state of the predictive force of the theory. But I know sometimes it is cheaper and more suitable for companies the test-and see what happens afterwards- method.

7. Aug 16, 2006 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Claus...I totally agree. Most times, for us, it ends up being a scaled version of a design that has been around for quite sometime. Then it's a cross your fingers and hope it still works kind of moment. We have had to do new shapes, but not very often.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?