Not conserving energy when I should be

• Thread starter msimmons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: Total energy = 2*.75*9.8 + .75*9.8 + \frac{1}{2}*2*5.534^2+\frac{1}{2}*3.3204^2 = 58.187The mistake was in the calculation of the velocities before the collision. The correct equations should be:v1 = v1_0 + gt = 0 + (-9.8)(.22588) = -2.218224v2 = v2_0 + gt = 4.4272 + (-9.8)(.22588) = 1.216976Using these correct values, the total energy remains constant at 68.6, as
msimmons
I'm writing a program to demonstrate the chaotic system of two balls in one dimension with gravity. Before I can get even remotely close to that, however, it would help if my energy was conserved, so I'm apparently doing something wrong but I can't figure it out.

There is no damping forces.
energy is calculated with [tex]mgh + \frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]

ball 1 is the BOTTOM ball.
ball 2 is the TOP ball
x1 corresponds to the position of the bottom ball, etc.
initial conditions:
x1 = 1
x2 = 3
v1 = v2 = 0
m1 = 1
m2 = 2
(total system energy = 68.6 )

I'll walk through until my loss of energy, not far away.
First I calculate when the bottom ball hits the ground, they've both accelerated to the same speed and they've both dropped one meter, so the conditions are now
x1 = 0
x2 = 2
v1 = 4.4272 (positive, after the elastic collision with the ground which ain't moving)
v2 = -4.4272
(total system energy = 68.8 )

Next collision will be between the two balls. This is where I spontaneously lose energy
I first calculate the time it takes with
[tex]t=\frac{x1_0-x2_0}{v2_0-v1_0}[/tex]
which is derived from
[tex]x1_0 + v1_0t + \frac{1}{2}gt^2 = x2_0 + v2_0t + \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
for which I get t = -2/-8.8 = .22588.

next with elementary equations we calculate the position of each ball at that time (or just assume that they're at the same place, which they are, but I'll calculate just in case I am doing something wrong)
[tex]x = x_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
x1 = .75
x2 = .75
then the velocities before the collision
[tex]v = v_0 + gt[/tex]
v1 = 3.3204
v2 = 5.5340
Total energy = [tex]2*.75*9.8 + .75*9.8 + \frac{1}{2}*2*5.534^2+\frac{1}{2}*3.3204^2 = 58.187[/tex]

And that's it. Anyone see what I did wrong?

Edit
Scratch that.
g = -9.8. not -4.9.
Duh.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
msimmons said:
which is derived from
[tex]x1_0 + v1_0t + \frac{1}{2}gt^2 = x2_0 + v2_0t + \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
for which I get t = -2/-8.8 = .22588.

I think, above equation is wrong. Honestly, could not undertand the meaning too.

The balls collides after first ball return from ground. You must calculate the time AFTER that time. BTW, you may calculate the previous time too(before first ball arrive ground). Maybe couldn't understand right.

Volcano said:
I think, above equation is wrong. Honestly, could not undertand the meaning too.

The balls collides after first ball return from ground. You must calculate the time AFTER that time. BTW, you may calculate the previous time too(before first ball arrive ground). Maybe couldn't understand right.
That part (the calculation of the time) is correct.

Realize that msimmons already spotted his mistake (see his edit at the bottom of the post), which was here:

msimmons said:
then the velocities before the collision
[tex]v = v_0 + gt[/tex]
v1 = 3.3204
v2 = 5.5340

1. Why is conserving energy important?

Conserving energy is important because it helps reduce our overall energy consumption, which in turn reduces the amount of natural resources needed to produce energy. This helps to preserve our environment and can also lower our energy bills.

2. How can not conserving energy affect the environment?

Not conserving energy can contribute to environmental issues such as air pollution, water pollution, and climate change. The production of energy from non-renewable sources also contributes to the depletion of natural resources and can harm ecosystems.

3. What are some simple ways to conserve energy?

There are several simple ways to conserve energy, including turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, adjusting thermostat settings, and using public transportation or carpooling instead of driving alone.

4. How does not conserving energy impact our daily lives?

Not conserving energy can lead to higher energy bills and contribute to the depletion of natural resources. It can also lead to power outages and other disruptions in our daily lives. Additionally, not conserving energy can contribute to the overall decline of our environment and affect our health and well-being.

5. What are the long-term consequences of not conserving energy?

The long-term consequences of not conserving energy include the depletion of natural resources, increased pollution and greenhouse gas emissions, and the potential for more frequent and severe natural disasters. It can also lead to higher energy costs and a reliance on non-renewable energy sources, which are finite and non-sustainable.