Not only is the symbol daunting, but the words are too

  • Thread starter Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Symbol
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
63 replies · 7K views
flyingpig said:
2.46 and 2.47? I had my doubts...

What in Earth do you mean with 2.46 and 2.47?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
What in Earth do you mean with 2.46 and 2.47?

[PLAIN]http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/652/unledfz.jpg

Sorry lol, I was reading in my mind.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
And how would you evaluate (1+0)+1 ?? Is it also 1??

(1 + 0) = 1 from 2.46

so I get 1 + 1 = 0 still

Also RedBelly I was actualyl going to post my answers lol and then it said "Sorry! the thread is locked!"

Flyingpig to Redbelly (unrelated to this thread) said:
Never mind d) is 375. They all move up by 75...each. Stupid question.

This was solutiuon they gave me

[PLAIN]http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/4906/unledhsb.png

Which just means the answer is a multiple of 5, I thought they meant the contours are "5M units apart"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so that is indeed correct. We indeed have that

1 + (0 + 1) = (1 + 0) + 1 = 0

But that is not were the error was. The error is in the following

1 + (1 + 0) = (1 + 1) + 0 = 1 + 0 = 1

So can you calculate

1+(1+0)=...
(1+1)+0=...

again and see where the error is?
 
micromass said:
So can you calculate

1+(1+0)=...
(1+1)+0=...

again and see where the error is?

But they all arrive at the same answer

1 + (1 + 0) = 1 + 1 = 0

(1 + 1) + 0 = 0 + 0 = 0

But 1 + (1 + 0) from A2 says 1 + (1 + 0) = (1 + 1) + 0 = 0 + 0

I don't see the error
 
flyingpig said:
But they all arrive at the same answer

1 + (1 + 0) = 1 + 1 = 0

(1 + 1) + 0 = 0 + 0 = 0

But 1 + (1 + 0) from A2 says 1 + (1 + 0) = (1 + 1) + 0 = 0 + 0

I don't see the error

Indeed, they are all 0. But before you said that it was equal to 1. So now you have the correct answer.
 
Impossible I had 0! It was in post#29!

Oh well at least I got the other 7 right! ahahhaah

Wait, does that mean I will have 8 x 8 = 64 lines to write for all the other ones...?
 
oH MY GOD, Please stay with me in case I made a silly mistake. With 64, I will...
 
A1 done, A2 speaks for itself.

A2 said:
x + y = y + x

Let x = 0, y = 0

0 + 0 = 0 + 0 = 0

Let x = 0, y = 1

0 + 1 = 1 + 0 = 1

Let x = 1, y = 0

1 + 0 = 0 + 1 = 1

Let x = 1, y = 1

1 + 1 = 1 + 1 = 0

OKay probably not 64 then

A3 said:
I sense danger from this one...

x + 0 = x

Let x = 0

0 + 0 = 0

Let x = 1[/tex]

1 + 0 = 1



A4 said:
x + (-x) = 0

Oh boy

Let x = 0

0 + (-0) = 0 + 0 = 0

Let x = 1

1 + (-1) =...

Stuck already...I am an idiot

DOing M1-M4 D in another post.
 
M1 said:
Damn it, 8 cases again

(xy)z = x(yz)

Let x = 0, y = 0, z = 0

(0*0)0 = 0(0*0) = 0*0 = 0

Let x = 0, y = 0, z = 1

(0*0)1 = 0(0*1) = 0*0 = 1

Let x = 0, y = 1, z = 0

(0*1)0 = 0(1*0) = 0*0 = 0

Let x = 1, y = 0, z = 0

(1*0)*0 = 1(0*0) = 1*0 = 0

Let x = 1, y = 1, z = 0

(1*1)0 = 1(1*0) = 1*0 = 0

Let x = 1, y = 0, z = 1

(1*0)1 = 1(0*1) = 1*0 = 0

Let x = 0, y =1, z = 1

(0*1)1 = 0(1*1) = 0*1 = 0


Let x = 1, y = 1, z = 1

(1*1)1 = 1(1*1) = 1*1 = 1

M2 said:
xy = yx

Let x = 0, y = 0

0*0 = 0*0 = 0

Let x = 0, y = 1

0*1 = 1*0 = 0

Let x = 1, y = 0

1*0 = 0*1 = 0

Let x = 1, y = 1

1*1 = 1*1 = 1

M3 said:
Other than 0, there is a 1 such that x * 1 = x

Let x = 0

0 * 1 = 0

Let x = 1

1*1 = 1

M4 said:
Other than 0, we have an inverse for x

Oh wait...should I just do x = 1 case...?

D said:
NOOO ANOTHER 8 CASE. I'll be back on this one...

Need water...be back in 2 mins.
 
Yes because 0*0 is not 1...!

D said:
Let x = 0, y = 0, z = 0

0(0 + 0) = 0*0 + 0*0 = 0 + 0 = 0

Let x = 0, y = 0, z = 1

0(0 + 1) = 0*0 + 0*1 = 0 + 0 = 0

Let x = 0, y =1, z = 0

0(1 + 0) = 0*1 + 0*0 = 0 + 0 = 0

Let x = 1, y = 0, z = 0

1(0 + 0) = 1*0 + 1*0 = 0 + 0 = 0

Let x = 1, y = 1, z = 0

1(1 + 0) 1*1 + 1*0 = 1 + 0 = 1

Let x = 1, y = 0, z = 1

1(0 + 1) = 1*0 + 1*1 = 0 + 1 = 1

Let x = 0, y = 1, z = 1

0(1 + 1) = 0*1 + 0*1 = 0 + 0 = 0

Let x = 1, y = 1, z = 1

1(1 + 1) = 1*1 + 1*1 = 1 + 1 = 0

I am pretty confident in this one
 
Now just imagine I have to put all of this on paper.
 
SammyS said:
For this field, -1 = 1 . This is because the thing you need to add to 1 to give you the identity element for addition is 1.

micromass said:
OK, for A4, you need to use that -1=1 and -0=0. You define this to be so.

I overlooked something. since WHEN DID I DEFINE -1 = 1?
 
Well, you need to find for each x, an element y such that

x+y=0

By definition, this element is -x.

So, for x=0, you need an element such that 0+y=0. When you look at the axioms, you see that y=0 is the only possibility. So -0=0.

Now, what is -1?
 
[tex]xx^{-1} = 1[/tex]

[tex]x^{-1} = 1/x[/tex]

That doesn't change the original definition...

I still can't use 0.
 
Oh wait, M4 actually states for all x in R, without 0, the axiom holds, I don't even need to test x = 0 right?

Ah shoot for M3, I put 0 * 1 = 0, that's wrong isn't it? Because it says x without 0
 
flyingpig said:
Oh wait, M4 actually states for all x in R, without 0, the axiom holds, I don't even need to test x = 0 right?

Right.