What is the Expansion of the Universe and What Material is it Expanding Into?

• Thread starter dgoodpasture2005
  • Start date
In summary: IS the universe?Well that's what lead me to question... what is the universe expanding into? If it could theoretically be spinning... then wouldn't it have to be spinning on something? If it can expand... then what the heck is it expanding? and into what? I know i probably won't get any direct answers, but i just want to hear what you all have to say... the more info the better chance at a conclusion.
dgoodpasture2005
okay... i was thinking about the expansion of the universe... and i questioned, "what material is it expanding into? Nothing?"(What's outside of the universe?) So i decided to pick up 2 paper plates(and viewed them as universes... like from an extrospective universal view)... and i brainstormed a little... and i came to a couple of questions... What if the universe is spinning and what affects might this have on all scientific laws? Would the rate at which it's spinning effect anything at all? and also... if there are 2 universes... what would happen when they expand into each other... what would you see?... if you were near the edge of the universe when it reached the other universe... I don't think you'd even notice anything. Yeah you wouldn't.. It'd be impossible... you'd just think that the universe was bigger than you though it was before, because the light from that other universe would start to reach you. Or maybe that'd just be the only way to prove if it is true; the sudden appearance of light. NOTE: This is all hyopthetical, but please try and take me seriously! :smile: Any added questions or theories are welcomed! One other question... if all objects moved in synchronism, 'causing the illusion of no motion, would this do anything to time as we know it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know this is theoretical.. but if two universes exist...(just like 2 galaxies) and they expand into each other, would we have to assume that they both consist of the same basic laws? And if they didn't.. oh wow...

dgoodpasture2005 said:
What if the universe is spinning and what affects might this have on all scientific laws? Would the rate at which it's spinning effect anything at all?

One other question... if all objects moved in synchronism, 'causing the illusion of no motion, would this do anything to time as we know it?

Aren't these two kind of meaningless when talking about the whole universe? I mean how can the universe 'move' when it has nothing to move into? I'm no cosmologist though, so I don't really know anything about this.

matthyaouw said:
Aren't these two kind of meaningless when talking about the whole universe? I mean how can the universe 'move' when it has nothing to move into? I'm no cosmologist though, so I don't really know anything about this.

Well that's what lead me to question... what is the universe expanding into? If it could theoretically be spinning... then wouldn't it have to be spinning on something? If it can expand... then what the heck is it expanding? and into what? I know i probably won't get any direct answers, but i just want to hear what you all have to say... the more info the better chance at a conclusion. No question is stupid... sometimes you get answers you never expected in the end.

Last edited:
The universe isn't expanding intto anything. You can't just use your intuitions about small scale things when talking about spacetime. The distance between things is getting bigger as time progresses; the manifold counting its time dimension has a certain shape but it isn't "doing" anything.

selfAdjoint said:
The universe isn't expanding intto anything. You can't just use your intuitions about small scale things when talking about spacetime. The distance between things is getting bigger as time progresses; the manifold counting its time dimension has a certain shape but it isn't "doing" anything.

Can you break this down for me, I'm having trouble understanding it. Please.. thank you :)

Last edited:
The universe is four dimensional, with time being the fourth dimension (there may or may not be other "compacted dimensions"). To imagine the expansion, think of a trumpet shape with the bell upward. The tube starts out narrow at the bottom and widens as you move up. Just so the universe starts tiny (but of course now with three spatial dimensions instead to the two in the cross-section of the trumpet), and gets bigger as time moves forward. But in four dimensions, that is just its shape. The trumpet didn't have to expand or move in order for its bell to be wider than its mouthpiece, and the universe doesn't have to expand "into" anything for its late state to be bigger than its early state.

I suppose i need to read a little more on exactly WHAT is expanding, and to where... i was under the impression that the universe was "expanding", pertaining to its "walls"... that's where I'm confused. Liike an expanding bubble, or blowing up a balloon.

Last edited:
How does something expand within itself? I don't understand any of this. I still can only find evidence of the universe as an expanding bubble, and everything in it, expanding along with it.. which still leads me to question, what it is expanding into. "Hyperspace"? [EDIT]
And what IS expanding... saying the "universe" is quite vague isn't it?... what part of the universe? Some materials that can somehow move at faster than the speed of light?!

Last edited:

Related to What is the Expansion of the Universe and What Material is it Expanding Into?

1. What is the purpose of "Not sure what to Title this"?

The purpose of "Not sure what to Title this" is to provide a space for individuals to ask questions or seek advice about a topic that they are unsure how to title. It allows for open-ended discussion and collaboration.

2. Can anyone participate in "Not sure what to Title this"?

Yes, anyone can participate in "Not sure what to Title this". It is open to anyone who has a question or wants to contribute to the discussion. However, it is important to keep the conversation respectful and on-topic.

3. How can I ensure my question is answered in "Not sure what to Title this"?

To increase the chances of your question being answered, make sure to provide enough detail and context. Use clear and concise language, and consider including relevant tags to make it easier for others to find your question.

4. Is "Not sure what to Title this" a reliable source of information?

"Not sure what to Title this" is a community-driven platform, so the reliability of information may vary. It is always important to fact-check and verify information from multiple sources before making any decisions based on the information provided in this forum.

5. Can I ask multiple questions in "Not sure what to Title this"?

Yes, you can ask multiple questions in "Not sure what to Title this". However, it is recommended to focus on one question at a time to avoid confusion and to allow for more focused and thorough responses from the community.