Not the usual how to get research thread

In summary, the conversation discusses how to ask a professor for a paid research opportunity during the summer. The individual has experience working with professors during the academic year and is looking to make research a full-time commitment. They are seeking advice on how to convey their interest in getting paid for the research due to living expenses. The conversation concludes with the idea that the best approach is to simply ask the professor.
Newtime
Not the usual "how to get research" thread...

I've worked with professors before during the academic year and am doing so currently. I've done an REU also. My question is: how does one ask a professor for a (paid) research opportunity for the summer? Simply asking a professor to work with them or under them is easy enough but how do I convey the fact that I am looking to make this a full-time thing in the summer and would like to get paid for it (mainly because I wouldn't be able to do it for free because of living expenses)? I may, of course, be over thinking this with the best approach being the "just ask" approach.

A little background: by the end of this academic year I'll be roughly on par with someone who's finished his or her first year of grad school.

I suppose I should also note I am referring to mathematics research.

Physics news on Phys.org

You're definitely overthinking: just ask!

I second what cristo said - just ask. They will be honest with you about whether they have any paid positions and whether you have the qualifications they are looking for.

What is the purpose of the "Not the usual how to get research thread"?

The purpose of the "Not the usual how to get research thread" is to provide alternative methods and strategies for conducting research that go beyond the traditional approach. This can include utilizing new technologies, collaborating with other disciplines, or incorporating different perspectives.

How is this thread beneficial for scientists?

This thread can be beneficial for scientists as it offers fresh ideas and perspectives on how to approach research, which can lead to innovative and groundbreaking discoveries. It also encourages collaboration and interdisciplinary approaches, which can enhance the quality and impact of research projects.

Who can benefit from this thread?

This thread can benefit all scientists, whether they are students, early career researchers, or experienced professionals. It can also be helpful for individuals from different fields who are interested in incorporating scientific research into their work.

What types of topics are discussed in this thread?

The topics discussed in this thread can vary, but they often focus on unconventional or non-traditional research methods, such as citizen science, open science, and data sharing. It can also cover strategies for overcoming common challenges in research, such as obtaining funding or publishing in high-impact journals.

How can I contribute to this thread?

If you have innovative ideas or strategies for conducting research, or if you have experience with non-traditional research methods, you can contribute by sharing your insights and suggestions in the thread. You can also ask questions or engage in discussions with other participants to further expand your knowledge and understanding.