1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not the usual how to get research thread

1. Sep 8, 2010 #1
    Not the usual "how to get research" thread...

I've worked with professors before during the academic year and am doing so currently. I've done an REU also. My question is: how does one ask a professor for a (paid) research opportunity for the summer? Simply asking a professor to work with them or under them is easy enough but how do I convey the fact that I am looking to make this a full-time thing in the summer and would like to get paid for it (mainly because I wouldn't be able to do it for free because of living expenses)? I may, of course, be over thinking this with the best approach being the "just ask" approach.

A little background: by the end of this academic year I'll be roughly on par with someone who's finished his or her first year of grad school.

I suppose I should also note I am referring to mathematics research.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2010 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Not the usual "how to get research" thread...

You're definitely overthinking: just ask!

4. Sep 8, 2010 #3
    Re: Not the usual "how to get research" thread...

I second what cristo said - just ask. They will be honest with you about whether they have any paid positions and whether you have the qualifications they are looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook