Not understanding what the question is asking. Volume of solid

In summary, the problem asks to find the volume, in cubic units, of a solid with seven plane faces (BGD,BCD,GFD,BHG,GHEF,EFDC,BHEC) formed by a parallelepiped (vertices E,F,G,H are diametrically opposite to A,B,C,D) and a tetrahedron (ABDG). The solution involves finding the volume of the parallelepiped (16 cubic units) and subtracting 1/6th of that value to account for the tetrahedron (40/3 cubic units).
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Referring to the parallelepiped in Question 3 in which vertices E,F,G,H are respectively the diametrically opposite corners to A,B,C,D . Find the volume, in cubic units of the solid with seven plane faces BGD,BCD,GFD,BHG,GHEF,EFGC,BHEC

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really understanding what it is asking me. I understand finding volumes. Is this telling me to find the volume with each plane face? For instance, BGD. I could make an origin out of F which is diagonal to B and maybe do the volume of a tetrahedron.
I guess I don't understand what it is asking me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is some sketch missing.
Find the volume, in cubic units of the solid with seven plane faces BGD,BCD,GFD,BHG,GHEF,EFGC,BHEC
Is that the exact problem statement? It looks weird. If not, please write it down exactly as it was given.

Yeah that was exact I copied and pasted. I will try and draw it when I get back home in a bit. I did draw it but on word I mean. Yeah it is confusing me.

OK this is what I have drawn and how I labeled it please ignore the lack of artistic flair. It serves it's purpose though. So I was using this and thinking what the heck is this question asking me?

Attachments

• drawing33.docx
    11.3 KB · Views: 178
mfb, does it make anymore sense?

I don't know how to interpret the question.
You can find the volume as function of the vectors of 3 edges.

Yeah, I don't either. That is the exact question though I literally copied and pasted.

I think there's a typo. The last but one face should be EFDC, not EFGC. It's the whole figure less the pyramid ABDG. (Which is a big hint towards the answer.)

Likes 1 person
So, Am I supposed to find the volume with of each thing? Like BHE and EFDC separate? What is meant by the volume of the solid?? thx

wait wait wait

OK, so I think I got it maybe not.
I found the volume of the parallelepiped to be 16 cubic units from a previous question. So the shape that is formed from ABDG is a tetrahedron which is 1/6 that of a parallelpiped. So 16- (1/6)16 = 40/3 cubic units.

I hope this is correct
Thanks

Jbreezy said:
OK, so I think I got it maybe not.
I found the volume of the parallelepiped to be 16 cubic units from a previous question. So the shape that is formed from ABDG is a tetrahedron which is 1/6 that of a parallelpiped. So 16- (1/6)16 = 40/3 cubic units.

I hope this is correct
Thanks
Looks right.

1. What is volume of solid?

The volume of a solid is the amount of space that it occupies. It is a measure of the three-dimensional size of an object.

2. How is volume of solid measured?

Volume of solid is typically measured using the formula V = l*w*h, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the solid. This formula can vary depending on the shape of the solid, but the basic concept remains the same.

3. Why is volume of solid important?

Volume is an important measurement in many scientific and practical applications. It helps determine the capacity of objects, such as containers or tanks, and also plays a crucial role in understanding the density and mass of a solid.

4. What are some common units of measurement for volume of solid?

The most commonly used units for measuring volume of solid are cubic meters (m³), cubic centimeters (cm³), and cubic inches (in³). Other units such as liters (L) and gallons (gal) can also be used depending on the context.

5. How is volume of solid different from surface area?

Volume and surface area are both measurements of a solid, but they represent different aspects of its size. Volume measures the space inside the solid, while surface area measures the outside surface. In simple terms, volume is the amount of material inside an object, and surface area is the amount of material covering the outside of the object.