Not understanding what the question is asking. Volume of solid

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 2K views
Jbreezy
Messages
582
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Referring to the parallelepiped in Question 3 in which vertices E,F,G,H are respectively the diametrically opposite corners to A,B,C,D . Find the volume, in cubic units of the solid with seven plane faces BGD,BCD,GFD,BHG,GHEF,EFGC,BHEC



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I'm not really understanding what it is asking me. I understand finding volumes. Is this telling me to find the volume with each plane face? For instance, BGD. I could make an origin out of F which is diagonal to B and maybe do the volume of a tetrahedron.
I guess I don't understand what it is asking me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think there is some sketch missing.
Find the volume, in cubic units of the solid with seven plane faces BGD,BCD,GFD,BHG,GHEF,EFGC,BHEC
Is that the exact problem statement? It looks weird. If not, please write it down exactly as it was given.
 
Yeah that was exact I copied and pasted. I will try and draw it when I get back home in a bit. I did draw it but on word I mean. Yeah it is confusing me.
 
OK this is what I have drawn and how I labeled it please ignore the lack of artistic flair. It serves it's purpose though. So I was using this and thinking what the heck is this question asking me?
 
Attachments
Yeah, I don't either. That is the exact question though I literally copied and pasted.
 
I think there's a typo. The last but one face should be EFDC, not EFGC. It's the whole figure less the pyramid ABDG. (Which is a big hint towards the answer.)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
So, Am I supposed to find the volume with of each thing? Like BHE and EFDC separate? What is meant by the volume of the solid?? thx
 
OK, so I think I got it maybe not.
I found the volume of the parallelepiped to be 16 cubic units from a previous question. So the shape that is formed from ABDG is a tetrahedron which is 1/6 that of a parallelpiped. So 16- (1/6)16 = 40/3 cubic units.

I hope this is correct
Thanks
 
Jbreezy said:
OK, so I think I got it maybe not.
I found the volume of the parallelepiped to be 16 cubic units from a previous question. So the shape that is formed from ABDG is a tetrahedron which is 1/6 that of a parallelpiped. So 16- (1/6)16 = 40/3 cubic units.

I hope this is correct
Thanks
Looks right.