Notation Help: Understanding Summations

• Thread starter holezch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the notation \sum_{i,j} A_{i,j} represents a double summation, where both i and j range over a certain domain. The order in which the indices are accumulated does not matter, as the summation is independent of order. It can also be written as a nested summation, where the values of i and j are multiplied together.
holezch

Homework Statement

Hi, I see something like this in my book:

[tex]\sum_{i,j} A_{i,j}[/tex]... et c

does this mean that the index values of i and j are both accumulated at the same time? or that i or j gets accumulated first? I'm not sure

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally that really means you have a double summation, that i and j are independent of each other and both range over the natural numbers (or whatever domain makes sense).

You can also think of it as summing over all pairs (i,j) in [tex] \mathbb{N}[/tex]x[tex] \mathbb{N}[/tex].

Either way, implicitly stated is that the summation is independent of order (since none is given)

It is usually shorthand for
[tex]\sum_i \sum_j \cdots \sum_n A_{ij\cdots n},[/tex]
i.e. a nested summation.

If, for example, i and j can both range from 1 to 3, that is
[tex]A_{11}+ A_{12}+ A_{13}+ A_{21}+ A_{22}+ A_{23}+ A_{31}+ A_{32}+ A_{33}[/tex].

That is, [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] has 3(3)= 9 values and this is the sum of all of them. Since addition of numbers is commutative, the order does not matter so the order in which you take i or j does not matter.

More generally, if i ranges from 1 to m and j ranges from 1 to n, [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] can have mn values and [itex]\sum_{i, j} A_{ij}[/itex] is the sum of all of them.

1. What is the purpose of summation notation?

Summation notation is used in mathematics to represent the sum of a series of numbers. It allows for a more concise and efficient way of writing out a series of additions, especially when there are a large number of terms involved.

2. How do I interpret summation notation?

The summation symbol, Σ, represents the sum of terms in a series. The variable below the symbol specifies the index or starting point of the series, while the number above the symbol indicates the ending point. The expression to the right of the symbol represents the general term or rule for the series.

3. What is the difference between upper and lower limits in summation notation?

The upper limit in summation notation represents the last term in the series, while the lower limit represents the first term. These limits determine the range of values that will be included in the sum.

4. Can I use summation notation for other operations besides addition?

Yes, summation notation can be used for other operations such as subtraction, multiplication, and division. The operation is specified after the summation symbol. For example, Σx^2 represents the sum of squares of a series of numbers.

5. How do I simplify a summation expression?

To simplify a summation expression, you can use various formulas and properties, such as the sum of arithmetic or geometric series. You can also use algebraic manipulations to group terms or factor out common factors. Additionally, you can use the properties of summation, such as distributivity and associativity, to simplify the expression.