1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Notation help (summations)

1. Jun 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I see something like this in my book:

[tex]\sum_{i,j} A_{i,j}[/tex]... et c

does this mean that the index values of i and j are both accumulated at the same time? or that i or j gets accumulated first? I'm not sure

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Generally that really means you have a double summation, that i and j are independent of each other and both range over the natural numbers (or whatever domain makes sense).

You can also think of it as summing over all pairs (i,j) in [tex] \mathbb{N}[/tex]x[tex] \mathbb{N}[/tex].

Either way, implicitly stated is that the summation is independent of order (since none is given)
  4. Jun 28, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is usually shorthand for
    [tex]\sum_i \sum_j \cdots \sum_n A_{ij\cdots n},[/tex]
    i.e. a nested summation.
  5. Jun 28, 2010 #4

Science Advisor

If, for example, i and j can both range from 1 to 3, that is
    [tex]A_{11}+ A_{12}+ A_{13}+ A_{21}+ A_{22}+ A_{23}+ A_{31}+ A_{32}+ A_{33}[/tex].

That is, [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] has 3(3)= 9 values and this is the sum of all of them. Since addition of numbers is commutative, the order does not matter so the order in which you take i or j does not matter.

More generally, if i ranges from 1 to m and j ranges from 1 to n, [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] can have mn values and [itex]\sum_{i, j} A_{ij}[/itex] is the sum of all of them.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook