What Are 'M-M' and 'N-N' Circles in Russian Physics?

In summary, the conversation discussed a paper translated from Russian that mentioned "m-m" and "n-n" circles, as well as hyperboloids with imaginary radii. The speaker initially thought "n-n" stood for "non-negative" but later discovered it was related to an "n-n unit circle". They questioned whether this was standard notation or specific to Russian. The conversation also discussed the possibility of the author referring to hyperboloids in relation to Minkowski. However, it was clarified that this is not a standard notation in Russian and could potentially be a mistranslation.
nomadreid
Gold Member
In a paper translated from the Russian, the author refers to "m-m" and "n-n" circles (including Minkowski circles) and orbits. When I first came across "n-n", I thought it was "non-negative" until I came across the "m-m". In one of the references I went to a diagram referred to, and saw an arc with "n" on each end of the arc referred to as an "n-n unit circle". I have no idea what he is talking about. Is this some standard notation I am unfamiliar with, or some notation perhaps peculiar to Russian?
In the same context, he has "m-m circles" with imaginary radii. I thought a radius was a distance, which is always real. ??
Thanks for guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can he talk about hyperboloid which is embedded in Minkowski, because hyperboloids can be thought as a sphere of imaginary radius...

Likes 1 person
thanks, nomather1471. Given the context of the paper, your suggestion makes sense. I stand corrected on my impression that radii were necessarily real.
In the meantime I asked a Russian physicist, who told me that this is not standard notation in Russian either. So my guess is that it is a bad translation, and that the "m-m" is merely a reference to the hyperboloid labeled with a couple of m's in one of his diagrams.

1. What are m-m and n-n circles?

M-m and n-n circles are mathematical concepts used to represent numbers and their relationships. M-m circles represent multiples of a given number, while n-n circles represent factors of a given number.

2. How are m-m and n-n circles used?

M-m and n-n circles are used in various mathematical operations, such as finding common multiples or factors, and simplifying fractions.

3. How do you draw m-m and n-n circles?

To draw an m-m circle, start with a central point and draw multiple equal-sized circles around it. To draw an n-n circle, start with a central point and draw circles of decreasing size, with each circle representing a factor of the given number.

4. What is the difference between m-m and n-n circles?

The main difference between m-m and n-n circles is the direction in which they are drawn. M-m circles expand outward from the central point, while n-n circles decrease in size towards the central point.

5. How do m-m and n-n circles help in problem-solving?

M-m and n-n circles can help in problem-solving by providing a visual representation of numbers and their relationships. This can make it easier to identify common multiples or factors and simplify calculations.