Notation row/column of matrix.

In summary, there is no standard notation for denoting the i-th row or j-th column of a matrix. Different notations may be used in different contexts or publications, but there is no universally accepted standard. Examples of notation that may be used include ##a_{i,*}## for the i-th row and ##A_{j\bullet}## for the j-th column. However, the main ISO standard for matrix notation specifies the use of bold-face or bold-face italics for matrices.
Max.Planck
Is there notation to denote the i-th row of a Matrix or j-th column?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes - several. What was the context?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_(mathematics)#Notation

eg. if ##a_{i,j}## denotes the i/jth element of ##\mathbf{A}## then ##a_{i,*}## is a common way to denote the ith row of ##\mathbf{A}##... or maybe the rows and columns would be represented as vectors.

Last edited:
For example in a proof I would like to say:

[itex]\exists i [/itex] such that the i-th column of A = the j-th row of B, basically I'm looking for the notation of i-th column, and j-th row.

I sometimes use the notation [itex]A_{\bullet i}[/itex] to denote the i-th column and [itex]A_{j\bullet}[/itex] to denote the j-th row.

Is there a standard for notation?

Is there a standard for notation?
No - as the wikipedia article (see link above) points out there is no standard (i.e. ISO standard) notation. Some journals may specify a particular form in their style guides. afaik the main ISO standard for matrix notation specifies bold-face (poss bf-italics).

Per your example: one would most commonly write something like:$$\mathbf{A},\mathbf{B}\in \mathbb{M}_{m\times n}; a_{i,j}\in \mathbf{A}, b_{i,j}\in \mathbf{B}: a_{i,*}=b_{*,i}$$... and be fairly confident of being understood to mean that the ith row of A is the same as the ith column of B (pretty much the transpose but a fair example and you can have different functions of the row/column numbers.)

1. What is a notation row/column of matrix?

A notation row/column of matrix is a way of representing the elements of a matrix in a specific format. It is typically written as a series of numbers or variables within brackets, with each row or column of the matrix separated by a semicolon or comma.

2. How is a notation row/column of matrix used in mathematics?

In mathematics, a notation row/column of matrix is used to perform operations on matrices, such as multiplication, addition, and subtraction. It is also used to solve systems of linear equations and to represent transformations in linear algebra.

3. What is the difference between a row and a column in a notation row/column of matrix?

A row in a notation row/column of matrix is a horizontal sequence of elements within a matrix, while a column is a vertical sequence of elements. Rows are typically denoted by lowercase letters (i.e. a, b, c) and columns by uppercase letters (i.e. A, B, C).

4. How do you identify the notation row/column of matrix for a specific element?

To identify the notation row/column of matrix for a specific element, you must count the number of rows and columns from the top left corner of the matrix. The first number represents the row and the second number represents the column. For example, the element in the second row and third column would have the notation row/column of matrix 2,3.

5. Can a notation row/column of matrix be used for non-numerical elements?

Yes, a notation row/column of matrix can also be used for non-numerical elements, such as variables or symbols. In this case, the elements within the matrix would be represented by the corresponding variables or symbols within the notation row/column of matrix. This is often used in abstract mathematics or computer programming.