Notation/Site for Representations of an Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the paper "Higher Spin extension of cosmological spacetimes in 3d: asymptotically flat behaviour with chemical potentials in thermodynamics" and addresses questions about the expression [J_ab, J_cd] and the availability of resources for representations of Lie algebras. The commutator bracket is explained as a mathematical operation used to determine the commutation relation between generators of a Lie algebra. Online resources such as the Encyclopedia of Mathematics can provide further information on this topic.
bob2
I'm currently reading the paper "Higher Spin extension of cosmological spacetimes in 3d: asymptotically flat behaviour with chemical potentials in thermodynamics"
I'm looking at equation (3) on page 4. I know that symmetrization brackets work like this
A_(a b) = (A_ab + A_ba)/2. However I have never seen the expression given for [J_ab, J_cd] with the two brackets. How should one interpret this?
Furthermore: Does anyone know a site where one can look up representations of Lie algebras? I'm specifically looking for a representation of this algebra (isl(3,R))
Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I can provide some insight into your questions regarding the paper and the expression in equation (3).

Firstly, the expression [J_ab, J_cd] with the two brackets is known as the commutator bracket, denoted by [ , ]. It is commonly used in the study of Lie algebras, which are mathematical structures that describe the symmetry of a system. In this context, J_ab represents a generator of the Lie algebra, and the commutator [J_ab, J_cd] is used to determine the commutation relation between these generators.

To interpret this expression, you can think of it as a mathematical operation that calculates the difference between the products of J_ab and J_cd in two different orders. In other words, it measures the extent to which these two generators "commute" with each other.

Regarding your second question, there are several resources available online where you can find representations of Lie algebras. One such site is the Encyclopedia of Mathematics, which has a section specifically dedicated to Lie algebras and their representations. Additionally, you can also refer to books and articles on the subject for more detailed information.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Happy reading!

1. What is the purpose of notation in representing an algebra?

Notation is used to represent the elements and operations of an algebra in a concise and consistent manner. It allows for complex mathematical concepts to be expressed in a more manageable and understandable way.

2. How is notation for an algebraic representation chosen?

The notation for an algebraic representation is typically chosen based on established conventions and mathematical principles. It should be intuitive and easily understood by those familiar with the subject matter.

3. Can notation for an algebraic representation vary between different fields of study?

Yes, notation for an algebraic representation may vary slightly between different fields of study such as mathematics, physics, or computer science. However, the underlying principles and operations remain the same.

4. How important is notation in understanding algebraic representations?

Notation is crucial in understanding algebraic representations as it provides a standardized and efficient way to express and manipulate mathematical concepts. A clear and consistent notation can greatly aid in the comprehension and communication of ideas.

5. Are there any commonly used notations for representing an algebra?

Yes, there are several commonly used notations for representing an algebra such as infix notation, prefix notation, postfix notation, and matrix notation. The choice of notation may depend on the specific algebraic structure being represented and the preferences of the mathematician or scientist using it.