The Nth Term Test for Divergence

In summary, the conversation discusses the nth term test for determining divergence in a series. It is mentioned that the test only applies if the limit of the series does not approach zero, but even if it does, it is not enough to determine convergence. This is demonstrated through examples such as the harmonic series and the series with the nth term being cos(9/n). The conversation also highlights the importance of understanding the nth term test correctly in order to avoid mistakes in calculus.
SYoungblood

Homework Statement

[/B]
Here is an nth term test for determining divergence, I think I have it, but wanted another opinion --

1/34 + 1/35 + 1/36+ … + 1/1,000,034 -- I

Homework Equations

∑(upper limit ∞)(lower limit n=0) 1/(n+34)

The Attempt at a Solution

1/34 + 1/35 + 1/36+ … + 1/1,000,034 -- I see this eventually hits zero when the numbers get very large.

for a series ∑n=1∞an, if lim n→∞ of an ≠ 0, then the series diverges.

So, the nth term test fails because we have a convergent limit at zero, am I right?

Thank you,

SY

Physics news on Phys.org
SYoungblood said:
So, the nth term test fails because we have a convergent limit at zero, am I right?

Thank you,

SY

Exactly. A zero limit is necessary but not sufficient to determine convergence.

Also: this series diverges because it is simply the harmonic series minus the first 33 terms.

Likes SYoungblood
Be sure that you understand that the "divergence test" says that [tex]\sum_0^\infty a_n[/tex] diverges if [tex]a_n[/tex] does not go to 0. If the sequence does go to 0, as is the case here, there is no conclusion. You cannot draw any conclusion as to divergence.

Likes SYoungblood
SYoungblood said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Here is an nth term test for determining divergence, I think I have it, but wanted another opinion --

1/34 + 1/35 + 1/36+ … + 1/1,000,034 -- I

Homework Equations

∑(upper limit ∞)(lower limit n=0) 1/(n+34)

The Attempt at a Solution

1/34 + 1/35 + 1/36+ … + 1/1,000,034 -- I see this eventually hits zero when the numbers get very large.

for a series ∑n=1∞an, if lim n→∞ of an ≠ 0, then the series diverges.

Thank you,

SY
You are misunderstanding the Nth Term Test, which is a very common mistake for calculus students.

In one form, the theorem says this:
"In a series ##\sum a_n##, if the series converges, then ##\lim_{a_n} = 0##."
An equivalent form is the converse, which is "In a series ##\sum a_n##, if ##\lim_{a_n} \neq 0##, then the series diverges.
The theorem says absolutely nothing about a series for which ##\lim_{a_n} = 0##. There are loads of series for which the nth term approaches zero. Some of the converge (e.g., geometric series) and some of the diverge (e.g., harmonic series).

Likes SYoungblood
The funny thing was, I told myself I wouldn't make that mistake several times.

So, of course I did. Calculus is a humbling adversary.

I wanted to try one more -- ∑(upper limit ∞)(lower limit n=0) cos (9/n)

I have the nth term test failing because the limit approaches zero as n gets huge, and the cosine equalling one.

I got this problem out of a well-known text and am just trying to make myself a little better.

Thank you for your time,

SY

SYoungblood said:
The funny thing was, I told myself I wouldn't make that mistake several times.

So, of course I did. Calculus is a humbling adversary.

I wanted to try one more -- ∑(upper limit ∞)(lower limit n=0) cos (9/n)

I suspect you mean the lower limit to be [itex]n =1[/itex], since [itex]\cos(\frac 90)[/itex] is not defined.
I have the nth term test failing because the limit approaches zero as n gets huge, and the cosine equalling one.

Correct.

Likes SYoungblood
I think that's what SYoungblood meant: the test doesn't apply because an has to approach zero in order to converge to infinity but that it's not enough (i.e. another test such as the "divergent series minus a finite number of terms"-test), so the test "fails".

1. What is the Nth term test for divergence?

The Nth term test for divergence is a method used to determine if an infinite series diverges or converges by examining the behavior of its individual terms as n approaches infinity. It states that if the limit of the nth term of a series as n approaches infinity is not equal to 0, then the series diverges.

2. How do you use the Nth term test for divergence?

To use the Nth term test for divergence, you must first find the limit of the nth term of the series as n approaches infinity. If the limit is not equal to 0, then the series diverges. If the limit is equal to 0, then the test is inconclusive and another test must be used to determine the convergence or divergence of the series.

3. What types of series can the Nth term test for divergence be applied to?

The Nth term test for divergence can be applied to any series, including both infinite and finite series. It is most commonly used for infinite series, but can also be used for finite series by setting the upper limit of the series to a specific value and then examining the behavior of the terms as n approaches this limit.

4. Can the Nth term test for divergence determine if a series converges?

No, the Nth term test for divergence can only determine if a series diverges. If the limit of the nth term is equal to 0, then the test is inconclusive and another test must be used to determine if the series converges.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Nth term test for divergence?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the Nth term test for divergence. For example, if the series has alternating positive and negative terms, the test may not accurately determine the convergence or divergence of the series. In these cases, another test, such as the alternating series test, may be more appropriate.