Number of unique integer factors

In summary, a number divisible by both 16 and 15 must be divisible by at least 19 unique integers. This is determined by finding the prime factorizations of 16 and 15 and using the combination formula to calculate the number of possible combinations with repeated elements. The solutions suggested are to either add the number of combinations for each factor of 2 or to use the formula ##\sum_{i=0}^3 3Ci (1+ i)## to account for the repeated elements. Both methods result in the same answer of 19 unique combinations.
malachaipoos

Homework Statement

A number divisible by both 16 and 15 is divisible by at least how many unique integers?

Homework Equations

Combination formula, nCk = n!/(k!(n-k)!)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the prime factorization for 16 and 15, 2x2x2x2x3x5. A number divisible by 16 and 15 must be divisible by any combination of these prime factors. The repeated elements (the four 2's) are giving me trouble.

I looked at just the factors 2x3x5 and summed the number of combinations that can be made with them (3C1+3C2+3C3) and got a total of 7. By hand, I wrote out the the number of possible combinations for 2x2x3x5 and got:

2,3,5,2x2,2x3,2x5,3x5,2x2x3,2x2x5,2x3x5,2x2x3x5, which gives 11 total combinations. It looks like if I add another factor of 2 (2x2x2x3x5) then I will gain another 4 possible combinations, and 4 more for every additional "2".

So, my solution is that there are 19 possible unique combinations and thus at least 19 unique integers that this number is divisible by. I'm not sure if that's right and I have no real intuition for why 19 (might) be correct. If the problem had asked for a number divisible by both 16 and 45 I'd be really lost (since there would now be repeated 3's as well as repeated 2's)!

Is there a general solution to finding the number of combinations with repeated elements??

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot 1 will divide the number, so the total is actually 20 = 5x4. For each factor of 2 you add, you said you got 4 more combinations. Can you see why 5x4 makes sense?

I think your logic is right.
You can do 3C1 (1+1/3*3) + 3C2(1+2/3*3) +3C3*(1+3/3*3) to handle the repeated elements. Should you count 1 as well?

vela said:
You forgot 1 will divide the number, so the total is actually 20 = 5x4. For each factor of 2 you add, you said you got 4 more combinations. Can you see why 5x4 makes sense?
Ahh, I forgot 1!

I can see that 2x3x5 gives me 8 combinations, which is the same as 2x4. For each "2" I add, I gain 4 combinations. Three 2's will give me 3x4. So then I have 2x4+3x4 = (2+3)x4 = 5x4. Right?

I'm not very good at math to begin with, but this probability/counting stuff is impossible!

RUber said:
I think your logic is right.
You can do 3C1 (1+1/3*3) + 3C2(1+2/3*3) +3C3*(1+3/3*3) to handle the repeated elements. Should you count 1 as well?
Yep, I think that 1 should definitely be counted!

I'm not sure how your suggestion for repeated elements works, I'm going to have to study that for a while :).

Thanks for the help from you both!

My suggestion was clearly the less efficient. You have ( ways to choose 2's) x ( ways to choose 3 and/or 5) including not choosing any (=1).
I was saying that for each n, 3Cn gives you how many ways to choose from the three. Multiply the portion that contains a 2, (n/3) by 3 to get the additional 3 options for multiple 2s.
In general ##\sum_{i=0}^3 3Ci (1+ i)##.

What is the definition of "Number of unique integer factors"?

The number of unique integer factors of a given number is the total number of distinct positive integers that can evenly divide the given number without a remainder.

How do you calculate the number of unique integer factors of a given number?

To calculate the number of unique integer factors of a given number, you can first factorize the number into its prime factors. Then, you can use the formula (p1+1)(p2+1)...(pn+1), where p1, p2, ..., pn are the distinct prime factors, to determine the total number of unique integer factors.

What is the difference between the number of unique integer factors and the total number of factors of a given number?

The number of unique integer factors only includes the distinct positive integers that can evenly divide the given number, while the total number of factors includes all possible combinations of these integers, including duplicates.

Can a prime number have a non-zero number of unique integer factors?

No, a prime number only has two factors, 1 and itself, so it cannot have any other unique integer factors.

How can the number of unique integer factors be useful in mathematics and other fields?

The number of unique integer factors can be used in various mathematical calculations, such as finding the greatest common divisor and least common multiple of two numbers. It can also be applied in cryptography, number theory, and other fields of mathematics and science.