1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of ways in a 3D lattice

Tags:
  1. Nov 17, 2015 #1
    Hi!
    If I have points A and B in a lattice in the plane, and the closest path between them is n + m steps (for example 4 steps upwards and 5 steps to the right), there are C(9,(5-4)) = 9 combinations of paths between them. I have to choose the 4 ways upwards (or the 5 ways to the right) of the 9 total (there are just 2 possibilities in the node, so when I choose 1 of them I'm done).

But if the lattice is in the 3D space, and I have 3 choices in each node, how can I solve the number of paths in this case? E.g k + m + n = 3 steps inwards, 4 steps upwards and 5 steps tho the right. And what if we have a lattice in any dimension?

Thanks!
    Nick

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure about the 2D case? My reasoning is that, out of the n+m steps, we have to choose the m that are upwards, so the number of paths is C(n+m,m), which is more than n+m if m>1.

My approach leads to a natural extension to the formula for the number of paths in any number of dimensions. The answer will be a product of Combinations.

4. Nov 18, 2015 #3
    Thank you. Yes, the number of paths should be C(n+m,m).

I will think more about the extension.

Tanks again!

5. Nov 18, 2015 #4
  6. Nov 18, 2015 #5

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let me know how you go. I'm still working on calibrating my hints to steer a good path between too broad (a dead giveaway) and too narrow (not much help). Sometimes that challenge seems harder than solving the problem itself!

7. Nov 19, 2015 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook