Number of ways in a 3D lattice

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of paths between two points in a lattice on a plane, and how to extend the formula to calculate the number of paths in a 3D space and in any dimension. It is suggested to use trinomial functions for the general case.
nickek
Hi!
If I have points A and B in a lattice in the plane, and the closest path between them is n + m steps (for example 4 steps upwards and 5 steps to the right), there are C(9,(5-4)) = 9 combinations of paths between them. I have to choose the 4 ways upwards (or the 5 ways to the right) of the 9 total (there are just 2 possibilities in the node, so when I choose 1 of them I'm done).

But if the lattice is in the 3D space, and I have 3 choices in each node, how can I solve the number of paths in this case? E.g k + m + n = 3 steps inwards, 4 steps upwards and 5 steps tho the right. And what if we have a lattice in any dimension?

Thanks!
Nick

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you sure about the 2D case? My reasoning is that, out of the n+m steps, we have to choose the m that are upwards, so the number of paths is C(n+m,m), which is more than n+m if m>1.

My approach leads to a natural extension to the formula for the number of paths in any number of dimensions. The answer will be a product of Combinations.

andrewkirk said:
Are you sure about the 2D case? My reasoning is that, out of the n+m steps, we have to choose the m that are upwards, so the number of paths is C(n+m,m), which is more than n+m if m>1.

My approach leads to a natural extension to the formula for the number of paths in any number of dimensions. The answer will be a product of Combinations.
Thank you. Yes, the number of paths should be C(n+m,m).

I will think more about the extension.

Tanks again!

nickek said:
I will think more about the extension.
Let me know how you go. I'm still working on calibrating my hints to steer a good path between too broad (a dead giveaway) and too narrow (not much help). Sometimes that challenge seems harder than solving the problem itself!

1. What is a 3D lattice?

A 3D lattice is a mathematical framework used to represent the arrangement of points or particles in three-dimensional space. It is often used in physics and chemistry to describe the arrangement of atoms in a crystal structure.

2. How is the number of ways calculated in a 3D lattice?

The number of ways in a 3D lattice is calculated using combinatorics, specifically the binomial coefficient formula. This formula takes into account the number of points in the lattice, as well as the number of points that can occupy each position in the lattice.

3. What does the number of ways represent in a 3D lattice?

The number of ways in a 3D lattice represents the number of possible arrangements of particles or points within the lattice. Essentially, it tells us how many different configurations can exist within the lattice structure.

4. How does the number of ways change with different lattice sizes?

The number of ways in a 3D lattice will increase exponentially as the lattice size increases. This is because the number of points and the number of ways they can be arranged increases with the size of the lattice. As a result, larger lattices will have a significantly larger number of ways than smaller lattices.

5. Can the number of ways be calculated for non-cubic lattices?

Yes, the number of ways can be calculated for non-cubic lattices as long as the lattice structure is regular and the particles are identical. However, the formula for calculating the number of ways may be different for non-cubic lattices compared to cubic lattices.