Figuring Out the Value of n in This Number Series

In summary, the missing number "x" in the sequence 5, 10, x, 40 can be any number and there are an infinite number of possibilities. One possible solution is x = 13, based on the fact that 273·2n + 1 is prime for n = 5, 10, 13, 40 and no other numbers between them. However, any other number could also fit the sequence, such as 15 using the formula 5*flloor( (n^2 + (n+1)^2)/5 ). Ultimately, without more information, it is impossible to determine the missing number in this sequence.
KaneOris
This isn't a homework question so i decided to post it here.

what is n=5 if n1=1663, n2=1527, n3=1126, n4=1096

Im sure this number series is actually quite easy to get but i can't figure it out... any ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you understand that choosing ANY number for n5 is equally valid? It might be that there are simple formulas that will give those numbers. Is that what you mean?

If I were looking for a simple formula, I might try subtracting the numbers, finding the difference between two consecutive numbers: 1663- 1527= 136, 1527- 1126= 401, 1126- 1096= 36. That doesn't look particularly promising. Dividing one number by the next doesn't give anything either.

But we can always find a cubic function that will give any four numbers.

If we try f(n)= an3+ bn2+ cn+ d, then we want f(1)= a+ b+ c+ d= 1663, f(2)= 8a+ 4b+ 2c+ d= 1527, f(3)= 27a+ 9b+ 3c+ d, f(4)= 64a+ 16b+ 8c+ d= 1096. Solve those four equations for a, b, c, and d to find f(n) inj general, then calculate f(5).

Again, that is a possibility. There exist an infinite number of perfectly reasonable sequence that have those first four numbers.

What HallsOfIvy is saying is that knowing the first few elements of a sequence is not sufficiently to determine the entire sequence.

In math, we consider all sequences to be equally valid possibilities. That means we have to accept it even if a sequence appears to be "unnatural" or even if it was created specially to prove a point (what we would call "being a smartass" in every day language ;-)

To choose a simplified example, take the sequence 1, 2, 3, ... What is the next number in the sequence? Well, let's look at a few sequences that begin with these three numbers...

* The sequence of natural numbers. The next element would be "4".
* The sequence which repeats the elements 1, 2, and 3 repeatedly. (1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, ...). The next element would be "3".
* The sequence beginning with "1", then continuing on with all the prime numbers. The next element would be "5".

These are three relatively simple possibilities. But there are an infinity of others.

So even if you specified the first million elements of your sequence, there's no way to know for sure which sequence you're talking about for sure.

Here's an easy one for you KaneOris.

Find the missing number "x" is this sequence.

5, 10, x, 40

Last edited:
uart, I say x = 13.

Reason: 273·2n + 1 is prime for n = 5, 10, 13, 40 and no other numbers between them.http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A053353 , but really, x could be anything, which is what Halls and Tac-Tics were saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
adriank said:
uart, I say x = 13.

Reason: 273·2n + 1 is prime for n = 5, 10, 13, 40 and no other numbers between them.

http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/A053353 , but really, x could be anything, which is what Halls and Tac-Tics were saying.

That's a good one Adrian.

Actually I messed this one up. I thought I had a simple sequence (based on the geometry of polygons) that went "5, 10, 21, 40" but I made a mistake and the last term actually should have been 42 (which kind of messes it up) :blushing:. Now to save face I'll have to come up with another solution (other than the obvious one of 20).

Ok here it is. The missing term is 15 and my sequence was,

5*flloor( (n^2 + (n+1)^2)/5 ).

Which gives the sequence 5, 10, 25, 40, 60, ...

Last edited by a moderator:
The point is you can make up a lot of numbers in that place and fit a polynomial to it. In fact if you have n points, then n-1 polynomial will fit it perfectly (as would n, n + 1, ... etc degree polynomial).

1. What is the purpose of figuring out the value of n in a number series?

The purpose of figuring out the value of n in a number series is to determine the pattern or rule that governs the series and use it to find the missing value. This can help in solving mathematical problems or predicting future values in a sequence.

2. How do you identify the value of n in a number series?

To identify the value of n in a number series, you need to carefully observe the given numbers and look for a pattern or rule that connects them. Once you have identified the pattern, you can use it to find the missing value of n.

3. What are some common patterns in number series that can help in figuring out the value of n?

Some common patterns in number series include arithmetic progression (adding or subtracting a constant number), geometric progression (multiplying or dividing by a constant number), and quadratic progression (adding or subtracting a squared value). Other patterns may involve alternating between two numbers or using a combination of operations.

4. Can there be more than one possible value of n in a number series?

Yes, there can be more than one possible value of n in a number series. This can occur when there are multiple patterns or rules that could apply to the series. In such cases, it is important to carefully consider all possible patterns and choose the one that best fits the given numbers.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for quickly figuring out the value of n in a number series?

Some tips for quickly figuring out the value of n in a number series include looking for familiar patterns, starting with simple operations and gradually increasing in complexity, and checking your answer by plugging it back into the series. It may also be helpful to break the series into smaller parts and solve them individually before combining the solutions to find the final value of n.