Number Theory: nth root of n is irrational

In summary: Keep most of that proof. But it's not generally true that gcd(a^n,b^n)=gcd(a,b), right? gcd(a^n,b^n)=gcd(a,b)^n. Do you have that theorem already proved? If so then it's fine. Otherwise you have to prove it. Or you could prove if gcd(a,b)=1 then gcd(a^n,b^n)=1. Either way there is a step in the proof that you don't state a reason for, so I'm not sure how you are filling it...
barylwires
1. For n ≥2, n^(1/n) is irrational.
Hint provided: Use the fact that 2^n > n2. This is probably familiar to many.
By contradiction, n = a^n/b^n
--> a^n = n(b^n)
--> n|a^n
--> n|a
Am I trying to force the same contradiction as with 2^1/2 is rational, that is, that a/b are not in lowest terms? Or do I need prime factorization to do something? Guidance is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that 2^n > n means that n cannot have n or more prime factors. Supposing that a and b are coprime also helps.

meiji1 said:
The fact that 2^n > n means that n cannot have n or more prime factors. Supposing that a and b are coprime also helps.

I don't think I'm using the hint in the following way; is it correct?
n=a^n/b^n --> a^n=n•b^n --> b^n|a^n --> b|a --> n^(1/n) is an integer,
but by hyp., n≥ 2 --> 2^(1/2) is an integer --><-- (relies, of course, on sqrt(2) known to be irrational)

That's not quite a contradiction. You've assumed the statement is true in the subcase that [tex]n \ge 3[/tex], in which the statement "2^(1/2) is an integer" has no effect.

Maybe go up to a^n=n•b^n, and look at primes dividing n on the RHS.

meiji1 said:
That's not quite a contradiction. You've assumed the statement is true in the subcase that [tex]n \ge 3[/tex], in which the statement "2^(1/2) is an integer" has no effect.

Maybe go up to a^n=n•b^n, and look at primes dividing n on the RHS.

Why are primes dividing n on the RHS? Do you mean I should consider the division of n by primes? As is , the problem implies two divisions: n|a^n and b^n|a^n.

I mean that you should consider division of n by primes, yes.

meiji1 said:
I mean that you should consider division of n by primes, yes.

I see that n has r<n prime factors, and that n|a^n.
And a^n/n = b^n.
I can't see the connection between this feature, the fact that a and b are co-prime, and a contradiction.

barylwires said:
I see that n has r<n prime factors, and that n|a^n.
And a^n/n = b^n.
I can't see the connection between this feature, the fact that a and b are co-prime, and a contradiction.

There is no way that (a/b)^n with a/b in lowest terms can be an integer unless b=1. Can you show that?

Last edited:
Dick said:
There is no way that (a/b)^n with a/b in lowest terms can be an integer unless b=1. Can you show that?

Thanks.
My initial contradictory supposition was that n^(1/n) was rational. My biggest problem here (I think) is seeing where rational a/b must be integer a/1. Is that what the hint is supposed to help me see? That no integer x can have x or more factors, together with gcd(a, b)= gcd(a^n, b^n) = 1. ?

barylwires said:
Thanks.
My initial contradictory supposition was that n^(1/n) was rational. My biggest problem here (I think) is seeing where rational a/b must be integer a/1. Is that what the hint is supposed to help me see? That no integer x can have x or more factors, together with gcd(a, b)= gcd(a^n, b^n) = 1. ?

If (a/b)^n=n and a/b is in lowest terms, and b is not 1, then there is a prime p that divides b but not a. So you can write b=pc. So a^n=(pc)^n*n. Conclusion? It's really just like the sqrt(2) is irrational proof.

Dick said:
If (a/b)^n=n and a/b is in lowest terms, and b is not 1, then there is a prime p that divides b but not a. So you can write b=pc. So a^n=(pc)^n*n. Conclusion? It's really just like the sqrt(2) is irrational proof.

Many thanks for all the good pushing. What I have is clunky at best, and probably flawed:

n = (a/b)^n
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]b^n|a^n
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]gcd(a^n, b^n) = b^n = gcd(a, b) = 1
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]b=1
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]n=a^n.
Since n≥2, a>1, but
n≤2^n
[tex]\Rightarrow\Leftarrow[/tex]

barylwires said:
Many thanks for all the good pushing. What I have is clunky at best, and probably flawed:

n = (a/b)^n
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]b^n|a^n
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]gcd(a^n, b^n) = b^n = gcd(a, b) = 1
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]b=1
[tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]n=a^n.
Since n≥2, a>1, but
n≤2^n
[tex]\Rightarrow\Leftarrow[/tex]

Keep most of that proof. But it's not generally true that gcd(a^n,b^n)=gcd(a,b), right? gcd(a^n,b^n)=gcd(a,b)^n. Do you have that theorem already proved? If so then it's fine. Otherwise you have to prove it. Or you could prove if gcd(a,b)=1 then gcd(a^n,b^n)=1. Either way there is a step in the proof that you don't state a reason for, so I'm not sure how you are filling it in.

Last edited:
Dick said:
Keep most of that proof. But it's not generally true that gcd(a^n,b^n)=gcd(a,b), right? gcd(a^n,b^n)=gcd(a,b)^n. Do you have that theorem already proved? If so then it's fine. Otherwise you have to prove it. Or you could prove if gcd(a,b)=1 then gcd(a^n,b^n)=1. Either way there is a step in the proof that you don't state a reason for, so I'm not sure how you are filling it in.

Groan. Must have been thinking a^n|b^n [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]a|b, but writing something entirely different. I suppose sleep is everything they say it is.

barylwires said:
Groan. Must have been thinking a^n|b^n [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex]a|b, but writing something entirely different. I suppose sleep is everything they say it is.

a^n|b^n does imply a|b. And nothing you said is wrong. I'm just asking if you have to prove it. Or is that already a proven theorem, so you can just use it?

Dick said:
a^n|b^n does imply a|b. And nothing you said is wrong. I'm just asking if you have to prove it. Or is that already a proven theorem, so you can just use it?

I should have written that, by hyp., gcd(a, b)=1 [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] gcd(a^n, b^n) = 1, then gcd(a^n, b^n) = b^n = 1. Does that do it? I'm referring specifically to these, particular, relatively prime a and b. Clearly, gcd(4^2, 6^2) = 4 ≠ 2 = gcd(4, 6) is a counter example of gcd(a^n, b^n) = gcd (a, b), in general, right?

barylwires said:
I should have written that, by hyp., gcd(a, b)=1 [tex]\Rightarrow[/tex] gcd(a^n, b^n) = 1, then gcd(a^n, b^n) = b^n = 1. Does that do it? I'm referring specifically to these, particular, relatively prime a and b. Clearly, gcd(4^2, 6^2) = 4 ≠ 2 = gcd(4, 6) is a counter example of gcd(a^n, b^n) = gcd (a, b), in general, right?

It sure is. You are saying nothing but true statements. I'm just asking which of them you have a theorem to back up, and which you might have to find a proof for. If you already know gcd(a,b)=1 => gcd(a^n,b^n)=1 then you are home free.

Related to Number Theory: nth root of n is irrational

1. What is the "nth root" in number theory?

The nth root refers to the mathematical operation of finding the number that, when multiplied by itself n times, results in the given number. For example, the 2nd root of 9 is 3, since 3 multiplied by itself 2 times equals 9.

2. What does it mean for a number to be "irrational"?

An irrational number is a number that cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers. In other words, it is a decimal that goes on forever without repeating a pattern. Examples of irrational numbers include pi and the square root of 2.

3. Why is the nth root of n considered to be irrational?

This is because, for any given positive integer n, the nth root of n cannot be expressed as a rational number. In other words, there is no integer that, when multiplied by itself n times, equals n. This has been proven using mathematical proofs.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule that the nth root of n is irrational?

Yes, there are a few exceptions. For example, the 2nd root of 4 is 2, and the 3rd root of 8 is 2. These are both rational numbers. However, these are the only exceptions, and for all other positive integers n, the nth root of n is irrational.

5. What is the significance of knowing that the nth root of n is irrational?

This fact has many applications in number theory and mathematics in general. For example, it can be used to prove the irrationality of certain numbers, or to show that certain equations do not have rational solutions. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the nature of numbers and their relationships.