Numerical Differential Equation.

In summary, the recommended method for solving the given differential equation is the Runge-Kutta method of order 4, with a step size of h=1/N and initial conditions of y_0=1 and y_N=2. This method has an error of O(h^4) and is a reliable and accurate approach for solving ordinary differential equations.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
give a numerical method of order bigger or equals 2 for the numerical solution of:
y'''(x)+2xy'(x)+e^(y(x))=cos(x)
in the interval: [0,1] with boundary conditions:
y(0)=1,y(1)=2,y'(0)=0

Attempt at solving:
well I thought of difference equation:
[/tex]y_{n+3}+2x_ny_{n+1}+e^{y_n}=cos(x_n)[/tex]
with y_0=1 and y_N=2 where we divide the interval [0,1] with N points of difference:
h=1/N.
Now we want the order would be greater than or equals 2, i.e the error of y_n+3-y(x_n+3) would be of O(h^3) at least.

where [/tex]y(x_{n+3})=y((n+3)*h)[/tex]
So now I need to expand y through taylor's expansion and then find the error y_n+3-y(x_n+3), I think that I also need to expand e^(y_n) and cos(x_n) through taylor's expansion, am I missing something or as I stated it, it's that much easy?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would recommend using the Runge-Kutta method of order 4. This method is commonly used for solving ordinary differential equations and has an error of O(h^4), which satisfies the requirement of having an order greater than or equal to 2.

The steps for using the Runge-Kutta method are as follows:

1. Divide the interval [0,1] into N subintervals with a step size of h=1/N.

2. Set up the initial conditions as y_0=1 and y_N=2.

3. Use the following formula to calculate the values of y at each point in the interval:
y_{n+1} = y_n + (1/6)(k_1 + 2k_2 + 2k_3 + k_4)
where
k_1 = hf(x_n, y_n)
k_2 = hf(x_n + (1/2)h, y_n + (1/2)k_1)
k_3 = hf(x_n + (1/2)h, y_n + (1/2)k_2)
k_4 = hf(x_n + h, y_n + k_3)

4. Repeat this process for each subinterval until you reach the end of the interval, where y_N=2.

5. The resulting values of y_n will give you the numerical solution of the differential equation.

The Runge-Kutta method of order 4 is a reliable and accurate method for solving ordinary differential equations, and it is widely used in scientific and engineering applications. I hope this helps in solving the given problem.

1. What is a numerical differential equation?

A numerical differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how one variable changes in relation to another variable. It involves using numerical methods to approximate the solution of the equation, as opposed to finding an exact solution.

2. Why do we use numerical methods to solve differential equations?

We use numerical methods to solve differential equations because many differential equations do not have exact solutions that can be found algebraically. Numerical methods allow us to approximate the solution and still gain valuable insights from the equations.

3. What are some common numerical methods used to solve differential equations?

Some common numerical methods used to solve differential equations include Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods. These methods involve breaking the differential equation into smaller steps and using algorithms to approximate the solution at each step.

4. How accurate are numerical solutions to differential equations?

The accuracy of numerical solutions to differential equations depends on the method used and the size of the step size chosen. Generally, the smaller the step size, the more accurate the solution will be. However, too small of a step size can also lead to computational errors.

5. What are some real-world applications of numerical differential equations?

Numerical differential equations have many real-world applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model and understand various phenomena such as population growth, chemical reactions, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits.