Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical Relativity: Components of the Lapse Function?

1. Oct 16, 2009 #1

Wallace

Science Advisor

I have a technical question about numerical relativity, hopefully someone can help.

In the usual 3 + 1 decomposition in NR, the four gauge freedoms are expressed via the lapse, [tex]\alpha[/tex] and three shift components [tex] \beta^i [/tex]. In a finite element numerical scheme, each grid point will have a value for these 4 components.

Now, looking at evolution equations on the other hand, I see terms that want to take the covariant derivative of the lapse function, which I can't understand since it is a scalar, and hence the covariant derivative reduces to the regular derivative.

To be explicit, take for instance the ADM evolution equation for the extrinsic curvature. The textbook I have ("Elements of Numerical Relativity" by Carles Bona and Carlos Palenzuela-Luque), write this down as

[tex] (\partial_t - L_{\beta} ) K_{ij} = -\alpha_{j;i} + \alpha [ ....] [/tex]

I've left the rest of the equation out for simplicity (note that [tex]L_{\beta}[/tex] is the Lie Derivative, I couldn't work out how to make the nice curly L with the tex tags). See that both [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\alpha^i[/tex] appear which I don't understand. It would make sense if this book was using [tex]\alpha^i[/tex] to denote the shift vector, but as you can see from the LHS (and it made clear in the book) it uses [tex]\beta^i[/tex] for this.

Any ideas? I'm just replacing the Covariant derivative with the regular one for [tex]\alpha[/tex] but maybe the equation is actually telling me something very different?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2009 #2

Wallace

Science Advisor

I think I found the answer, comparing to other literature it looks like they were meaning

[tex]\alpha_i \equiv \partial_i \alpha[/tex]

that makes sense, because the covariant derivative of that would not be 'trivial', i.e. reduce simply to the regular derivative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook