Numerically integrating the Planck distribution

In summary, the person is working on a project that involves numerically integrating the Planck spectral distribution to find the median wavelength. They are using a standard composite Simpson rule method and have good convergence at temperatures around 5000K, but not at or above 7000K. They are wondering if there is a better scheme to use and if the issue of numeric stability has been considered. The other person suggests using simpler methods based on polynomials of order 1, such as the trapezoidal rule, which may be less efficient but more reliable. They also mention trying the composite Simpson's rule for better results.
heafnerj
I'm working on a project that requires me to numerically integrate the Planck spectral distribution. The object is to find the median wavelength, with exactly 50% of the radiance on either side. I'm using a standard composite Simpson rule method and I get good convergence with temps around 5000K. For temps at and above 7000K, I can't get convergence. Is there a better scheme to use for this application?

Technology news on Phys.org
How familiar are you with issue of numeric stability? Have you analyzed the error term for Simpson's rule?

Hurkyl said:
How familiar are you with issue of numeric stability? Have you analyzed the error term for Simpson's rule?

Rudimentary. No.

Sometimes the simplest methods are the best when you are trying to solve numerical problems. When I am integrating something that I suspect might "misbehave" I always use methods based on polynomials of order 1; e.g. the trapezoidal rule with very small intervals.
This is very inefficient but it always works; and unless you need to integrate thousands of equations you will rarely notice the difference on a modern computer.

Of course you can always try to use e.g. the composite Simpson's rule; it should be better than the "plain" Simpson's rule for your problem.

1. What is the Planck distribution?

The Planck distribution is a mathematical function that describes the distribution of energy at different wavelengths for a blackbody at a given temperature. It was developed by German physicist Max Planck in 1900 and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

2. Why is numerically integrating the Planck distribution important?

Numerically integrating the Planck distribution allows scientists to accurately calculate the total energy emitted by a blackbody at a certain temperature, as well as the energy emitted at specific wavelengths. This is important in many fields, including astrophysics, where it is used to study the emission of radiation from stars and galaxies.

3. How is the Planck distribution numerically integrated?

The Planck distribution is numerically integrated using various numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods break down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts and approximate the integral by summing these smaller parts.

4. What are the applications of numerically integrating the Planck distribution?

Numerically integrating the Planck distribution has various applications in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate the emission spectrum of blackbodies, which is important in designing and analyzing thermal radiation systems. It is also used in radiative transfer models to study the transfer of radiation through different materials.

5. How accurate is numerical integration of the Planck distribution?

The accuracy of numerical integration of the Planck distribution depends on the method used and the number of steps taken to approximate the integral. Generally, the more steps taken, the more accurate the result will be. However, there may be some error introduced due to the approximation of the integral. Scientists often use computer programs to perform numerical integration, which can greatly improve the accuracy of the results.