Numerically integrating the Planck distribution

• Thread starter heafnerj
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm working on a project that requires me to numerically integrate the Planck spectral distribution. The object is to find the median wavelength, with exactly 50% of the radiance on either side. I'm using a standard composite Simpson rule method and I get good convergence with temps around 5000K. For temps at and above 7000K, I can't get convergence. Is there a better scheme to use for this application?

Answers and Replies

Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
How familiar are you with issue of numeric stability? Have you analyzed the error term for Simpson's rule?

How familiar are you with issue of numeric stability? Have you analyzed the error term for Simpson's rule?
Rudimentary. No.

f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sometimes the simplest methods are the best when you are trying to solve numerical problems. When I am integrating something that I suspect might "misbehave" I always use methods based on polynomials of order 1; e.g. the trapezoidal rule with very small intervals.
This is very inefficient but it always works; and unless you need to integrate thousands of equations you will rarely notice the difference on a modern computer.

Of course you can always try to use e.g. the composite Simpson's rule; it should be better than the "plain" Simpson's rule for your problem.