Is America Stocking Up on Guns Due to Fear of Obama?

• News
  • Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gun
In summary, the conversation discusses the increase in sales of white sheets, pillow cases, and scissors since the election, possibly due to fears of the new administration's plans for gun control. The participants also discuss the need for assault rifles and where to draw the line on gun ownership. Some believe that there is no need for restrictions, while others believe that stricter rules are necessary. It is also mentioned that there is not much difference between assault rifles and regular hunting rifles.
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Is this the Real America stocking up on firepower?

http://www.adn.com/politics/v-gallery/story/585071.html?/1521/gallery/585072-a585070-t3.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It has been reported from JC Penney's, Macy's, Target and WalMart that since Nov. 4th, the sales of white sheets, pillow cases, and scissors in the US have increased by 75%.

Coincidence?

I was listening to "Gun Talk" last (an AM talk show) Sunday and they were pointing out that the Obama transitional team had posted their intentions concerning anti-gun legislation on their website. They will bring back the Clinton assault weapons ban and make it permanent among other restrictions. Apparently, so many listeners were hitting the website to see for themselves that that particular page was taken down. It looks like the Obama administration is definitely going to expand gun restrictions. They are just keeping it on the "down-low" until they are in office. Gun owners aren't being paranoid, Obama's administration has plans contrary to gun ownership.

drankin said:
I was listening to "Gun Talk" last (an AM talk show) Sunday and they were pointing out that the Obama transitional team had posted their intentions concerning anti-gun legislation on their website. They will bring back the Clinton assault weapons ban and make it permanent among other restrictions. Apparently, so many listeners were hitting the website to see for themselves that that particular page was taken down. It looks like the Obama administration is definitely going to expand gun restrictions. They are just keeping it on the "down-low" until they are in office. Gun owners aren't being paranoid, Obama's administration has plans contrary to gun ownership.

With the government holding so many other weapons than guns to control society it seems that automatic weapon pitched battles with citizens isn't a likely concern. That's fighting previous wars instead of future ones.

noumed said:
It has been reported from JC Penney's, Macy's, Target and WalMart that since Nov. 4th, the sales of white sheets, pillow cases, and scissors in the US have increased by 75%.

Coincidence?

Do you have a credible source for that? You are making a highly questionable insinuation.

Great marketing opportunity.
I heard that he is going to ban 3D GIS software - you should all go to my website and stock up now!

noumed - I think we should have an icon, that's says 'warning this user may contain irony'

What is it that I may need a semi automatic assault rifle to protect myself from?? If I need massive protection I will need at least ten fully automatic rifles and 100's of RPG's.

A shoulder mounted assault weapon would be great.

My point is where do we draw the line?

edward said:
What is it that I may need a semi automatic assault rifle to protect myself from?? If I need massive protection I will need at least ten fully automatic rifles and 100's of RPG's.

A shoulder mounted assault weapon would be great.

My point is where do we draw the line?

That's just it, there is no need to draw a line. We don't have an assault weapon problem in the US. It's not a matter of need. It's the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs. I doubt we would ever "need" an assault rifle but that's not the point. If something crazy were to happen 20yrs down the road, I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Besides, assault rifles make a for good hunting rifles too.

mgb_phys said:
noumed - I think we should have an icon, that's says 'warning this user may contain irony'
A big grain of salt would do just fine as well.

Myself, I've had a gun pointed to my head by one of two crips. I learned indeed, happiness is a warm gun. Don't anyone forget it.

edward said:
Do you have a credible source for that? You are making a highly questionable insinuation.

It could be one of those "joke" things I've been reading about lately.

drankin said:
That's just it, there is no need to draw a line.

So why end the right to own weapons at assault rifles.

I have nothing against owning weapons , I have a number of them myself. Yet again, there has to be a point that the majority agrees on.

drankin said:
That's just it, there is no need to draw a line. We don't have an assault weapon problem in the US. It's not a matter of need. It's the Bill of Rights, not the Bill of Needs. I doubt we would ever "need" an assault rifle but that's not the point. If something crazy were to happen 20yrs down the road, I rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I am somewhat torn on this issue. I think there's more of a handgun problem than assault rifle problem. Most murders with unregistered firearms are made with handguns, not assault rifles. However, in a "killing spree" scenario, the assault rifle is a much more dangerous weapon.

I personally support gun ownership, but believe that we need much stricter rules for obtaining guns of all sorts. If someone really can't plan ahead and wait a couple of weeks (hell, maybe months) to get their hands on a gun, I don't know if they should own one in the first place.

I've shot all different kinds of weapons, including assault rifles, just because I think shooting is a fun activity. However, I don't know if I'll ever own a gun because I really don't think it's necessary.

I'll also say that almost all gun owners are responsible, it's just the few exceptions that make the news. However, I've met a few crazies at the gun range too.

There is NO functional difference between "assault rifles" and regular semi-automatic hunting rifles. None. The difference is that "assault rifles" are cosmetically similar to military-issued fully-automatic rifles. Apart from that, most hunting rifles are considerably more potent than any "assault rifle". Even the Kalashnikov look-alike SKS can't hold a candle to my father's 40-year-old Remington Model 742, apart from clip capacity. I'd rather be facing someone with an AR-15 or an SKS than a skilled shooter with that semi-auto .30-06 any day of the week.

What's amazing to me is that the gun lobby AND their opponents both try to leverage non-existent differences in these guns to their benefit, ignoring the facts on the ground. Apart from legislating against the sale of high-capacity magazines (which are widely available anyway) there is nothing that can be done to get rid of "assault rifles" that wouldn't apply to many, many hunting rifles. The US government cannot and will not go there.

To those not familiar, semi-automatic hunting rifles are not "automatic" in that you can depress the trigger and fire a burst of shots. They are more properly called "auto-loading" rifles because either a portion of the exhaust gases depressing a cylinder or the recoil of the round against the bolt causes the bolt to disengage, fly back, rebound and load another round. You still need to press the trigger again to fire another round.

turbo-1 said:
There is NO functional difference between "assault rifles" and regular semi-automatic hunting rifles. None. The difference is that "assault rifles" are cosmetically similar to military-issued fully-automatic rifles. Apart from that, most hunting rifles are considerably more potent than any "assault rifle". Even the Kalashnikov look-alike SKS can't hold a candle to my father's 40-year-old Remington Model 742, apart from clip capacity. I'd rather be facing someone with an AR-15 or an SKS than a skilled shooter with that semi-auto .30-06 any day of the week.

What's amazing to me is that the gun lobby AND their opponents both try to leverage non-existent differences in these guns to their benefit, ignoring the facts on the ground. Apart from legislating against the sale of high-capacity magazines (which are widely available anyway) there is nothing that can be done to get rid of "assault rifles" that wouldn't apply to many, many hunting rifles. The US government cannot and will not go there.

To those not familiar, semi-automatic hunting rifles are not "automatic" in that you can depress the trigger and fire a burst of shots. They are more properly called "auto-loading" rifles because either a portion of the exhaust gases depressing a cylinder or the recoil of the round against the bolt causes the bolt to disengage, fly back, rebound and load another round. You still need to press the trigger again to fire another round.

The Clinton ban was around before I began owning guns. I believe one of the distinctions they made is if the rifle had a pistol grip it was an assault rifle. Why a pistol grip makes a rifle more deadly than without, I have no idea. I believe it was just a play on peoples emotions about the "scary" military looking rifles.

drankin said:
The Clinton ban was around before I began owning guns. I believe one of the distinctions they made is if the rifle had a pistol grip it was an assault rifle. Why a pistol grip makes a rifle more deadly than without, I have no idea. I believe it was just a play on peoples emotions about the "scary" military looking rifles.
The anti-gun nuts have focused on a lot of features, such as a pistol grip, the existence of a barrel-lug to which a bipod or bayonet could be attached, flash-suppressors, etc. The fact is that there are many accurate and very powerful hunting rifles that look quite conventional (wood stocks, glossy black bluing on the metal, etc) but that are far more deadly, especially at medium-to-long ranges.

The M16 was chambered for .223 cal ammunition. It is a light round, and fairly accurate in that application (though it is a MUCH better round in a long-barreled rifle) and since it is small and light, a soldier on patrol can carry a lot more rounds than if he/she had to lug around .308's or some other more powerful rounds. The M14 was designed for .308's and was itself a very heavy weapon, reducing the infantry soldiers' ability to carry additional food, water, and other gear. The Germans and other NATO forces have stayed with their version of the .308, but with lighter rifles with composite stocks, much to their credit.

drankin said:

I agree. Similarly, there is no nuclear weapon problem in the US. I should be able to make and store or just buy my own nuclear weapons. After all, bombs still count as "arms". I doubt I would ever "need" a nuclear bomb, but that's not the point. If something crazy were to happen 20yrs down the road, like a Ruskie invading my house, I'd rather have my nuclear bomb handy than to have him Communise me while I order him to tear down a wall.

WarPhalange said:
I agree. Similarly, there is no nuclear weapon problem in the US. I should be able to make and store or just buy my own nuclear weapons. After all, bombs still count as "arms". I doubt I would ever "need" a nuclear bomb, but that's not the point. If something crazy were to happen 20yrs down the road, like a Ruskie invading my house, I'd rather have my nuclear bomb handy than to have him Communise me while I order him to tear down a wall.
:smile:

WarPhalange said:
Forget "nucular" weapons, I want one of http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/11/mini-nuclear-plant-is-safe-affordable-and-purifies-water-but-d/"!

WarPhalange said:

Nuclear weapon vs assault rifle. Not the best analogy.

the bill of rights talks about a citizen ''militia''
so why should any class of firearms be outlawed
an invaiding army sure would have full automatic's
as will any gov army the citizen militia goes up against

I just don't see a legal way to bann the so call assault guns
as the bill of rights is about military arms in citizen hands

drankin said:

So there is a line, you say?

drankin said:
Again, an auto-loading rifle that looks cosmetically similar to a military-issue weapon is no more or less dangerous than a hunting rifle. Apart from cosmetic features, the only functional discrimination to be made (vs, single-shot, lever action, bolt action, single-action, or double-action guns) is the auto-loading feature. If the government wanted to ban and confiscate all auto-loading weapons, they would have to reach back over a century. Auto-loading is not a real recent development. In fact, for side-arms, the pinnacle was established by Browning in the Colt 1911 (year) model .45. That was the standard military side-arm for many decades and still has aficionados dedicated to modifying, accurizing and tweaking them. My Glock 20 has the 1911 beat hands-down, but it is still just an auto-loading handgun, albeit with more knock-down capacity than some "assault rifles". 10mm Auto is a handful - like a .45 ACP on steroids. "Assault rifle" is a term used to scare the uninformed.

WarPhalange said:
So there is a line, you say?

Yes, there is a line. And all small firearms (.50 cal and under) are behind that line. The right to bear arms, not the right to bear cannons/missiles/nuclear warheads.

drankin said:
Yes, there is a line. And all small firearms (.50 cal and under) are behind that line. The right to bear arms, not the right to bear cannons/missiles/nuclear warheads.
I hunt with a single-shot .45-70, and have a collection of loads that can exceed 1800 fps in both 405 and 500 gr slug weights. You don't want to do a lot of target shooting with that beast.

turbo-1 said:
"Assault rifle" is a term used to scare the uninformed.
But you can still get arrested for carrying a toy "Assault Rifle" in public.

noumed said:

Depends on the state. It isn't a Federal law as far as I'm aware of.

drankin said:

Oh boy, let's play Chief Justice of the Supreme Court!

My turn: The right to bear arms, not the right to bear fully automatic weapons.

How did I do? Was that good? Should I go again?

EDIT:

And by the way, it's "Assault Weapon" that is banned, not Assault Rifle. Different things entirely.

noumed said:
You can get arrested for carrying a mock weapon in almost any public place, but unless you are using it to coerce someone for your own benefit, you will be released. It's not a crime. In most areas of the US, it's not a crime to carry an unconcealed weapon openly, nor should it be.

WarPhalange said:
Oh boy, let's play Chief Justice of the Supreme Court!

My turn: The right to bear arms, not the right to bear fully automatic weapons.

How did I do? Was that good? Should I go again?

EDIT:

And by the way, it's "Assault Weapon" that is banned, not Assault Rifle. Different things entirely.

I don't follow. Explain your charade and I'll tell you how you did.

turbo-1 said:
In most areas of the US, it's not a crime to carry an unconcealed weapon openly, nor should it be.
Common sense would immediately alert that someone's up to no good. Can't start a fire without a flint? Poor analogy maybe, but you surely can't deny the potential threat someone poses by carrying a weapon in public. Unless you're advocating that everyone should have weapons and carry them in public to even out the playing field, so to speak.

drankin said:
Why are cannons, missiles and nuclear warheads not considered "arms"?

In fact, they are just the kind of arms that I would think would be useful to a well regulated militia.

noumed said:
Common sense would immediately alert that someone's up to no good. Can't start a fire without a flint? Poor analogy maybe, but you surely can't deny the potential threat someone poses by carrying a weapon in public. Unless you're advocating that everyone should have weapons and carry them in public to even out the playing field, so to speak.

I carry in the public (concealed). I have a permit to do so. In many states, including mine, I can walk the streets with my weapon unconcealed on my hip without a permit. What are you getting at?

Gokul43201 said:
Why are cannons, missiles and nuclear warheads not considered "arms"?

In fact, they are just the kind of arms that I would think would be useful to a well regulated militia.

You have a point. I think (it's my interpretation anyway) that they meant rifles and pistols. Cannons existed then and maybe they meant that as well but I'm not sure they intended missiles and nuclear arms had they known they were to exist. But, some purist would probably argue that as well. I'm not interested in that argument. Don't restrict my small firearms and I'm content that my Constitution rights are being respected.

drankin said:
I don't follow. Explain your charade and I'll tell you how you did.

Your "line" is very arbitrary and I can make one up just as arbitrarily.