Object detection for other specific objects, possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of getting started with object detection for specific objects, particularly the desire to detect smiles using OpenCV in a C# software. It is mentioned that there are not many resources or tutorials available for this in C#, and that a lot of data is required to train algorithms for general object recognition. The conversation also touches on the use of cloud-based solutions from big companies and the idea of training a classifier with images of the object and images without the object. It is suggested to look into data mining and classification algorithms for this task.
kolleamm
How would I get started in object detection of specific objects? I know about OpenCV, it can perform face detection, but what about other objects?

I've seen talks on the web of training the program, but I'm not exactly sure how I would do that. I would like to give my software, written in C#, the ability to detect smiles.

There are practically no tutorials for this in C#.

Any help is appreciated.

Technology news on Phys.org
My Google Chrome browser gives me the following warning when I click on the link above,

upload_2016-5-18_8-19-25.png

Just a warning, almost everything in CV is a hack... Valuable things like face recognition have had loads of time thrown at them so they're decent hacks, (and you may have luck with smiles, valuable for marketing) but general object recognition mathematically has no simple solution, its dependant on prior learning.

For instance suppose you see an image of a basketball in the air at a game passing in front of a sign in the stands that's the same color: your brain will recogize the round shape of the ball because you know what a basketball looks like and see its a game, but without that world knowledge no algorithm can. Consequently, the big players in this are the people with huge amounts of data to train AIs about world knowledge. So cloud based solutions from big companies:
http://googleresearch.blogspot.com/2016/03/train-your-own-image-classifier-with.html?m=1
Will probably the way forward, as unsatisfying as it may be.

Simon Bridge said:
The first thing you do with any programming project is check to see what others have done before you.
ie. https://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~fuh/personal/FaceDetectionandSmileDetection.pdf
Yeah but those just explain how the algoritm works.
Fooality said:
Just a warning, almost everything in CV is a hack... Valuable things like face recognition have had loads of time thrown at them so they're decent hacks, (and you may have luck with smiles, valuable for marketing) but general object recognition mathematically has no simple solution, its dependant on prior learning.

For instance suppose you see an image of a basketball in the air at a game passing in front of a sign in the stands that's the same color: your brain will recogize the round shape of the ball because you know what a basketball looks like and see its a game, but without that world knowledge no algorithm can. Consequently, the big players in this are the people with huge amounts of data to train AIs about world knowledge. So cloud based solutions from big companies:
http://googleresearch.blogspot.com/2016/03/train-your-own-image-classifier-with.html?m=1
Will probably the way forward, as unsatisfying as it may be.
From my research on CV you give the program thousands of images of the object and thousands of images not containing the object. Afterwards it runs a long search lasting days that finds a handful of features that could be used to identify the object. Its a lot of data to provide but finding some code on how to do it might be harder.

I'd love to find something as simple as :
Train_detector (obj imgs path, false positive imgs path)

The result would be a file you can reference
Object_detect (obj_with_these_features.txt)

Hey kolleam.

Have you looked at data mining and classification algorithms?

A lot of this stuff involves quite a lot of mathematics in different fields and in different context of application.

Yes, OpenCV gives you raw image data, from that you can apply whatever algorithm you want. I once used it to keep score in billiards by tracking the balls.

1. Can object detection be used for detecting specific objects other than people and vehicles?

Yes, object detection can be used for detecting a wide range of objects, such as animals, household items, and even specific types of plants or fruits.

2. How accurate is object detection for detecting specific objects?

The accuracy of object detection for specific objects depends on several factors, including the quality and quantity of training data, the chosen detection algorithm, and the complexity of the objects being detected. With proper training and tuning, object detection can achieve high levels of accuracy.

3. What types of data are needed to train an object detection model for specific objects?

The most important data for training an object detection model are images of the specific objects. These images should include a variety of angles, sizes, and lighting conditions to ensure the model can accurately detect the objects in different scenarios. Additional data, such as annotations or labels, may also be needed to help the model learn the characteristics of the objects.

4. Can object detection be used for real-time detection of specific objects?

Yes, object detection can be used for real-time detection of specific objects. However, the speed of detection will depend on the complexity of the objects and the chosen detection algorithm. In some cases, real-time detection may require specialized hardware or optimized algorithms.

5. Can object detection be used for detecting specific objects in videos?

Yes, object detection can be used for detecting specific objects in videos. However, it may require additional techniques, such as tracking, to accurately detect objects that move or change in appearance over time. Properly trained and tuned models can achieve good results in video object detection.