Object detection through magnetic signature [field]?

In summary: For instance, is it a specific brand of casserole? If not, what type of casserole? If so, is it a specific flavor or model?The target is a certain brand of casserole. It is not a specific flavor or model.
pettt
Hi,

I am trying to figure out if a group of similar objects "A's" can be distinguished from different group of similar objects "B's" without using any means of visual analysis, be it a laser scanning or measurement of dimensions. I want to know if one could analyze or map the magnetic signature of an "A" (for instance a certain brand of casserole) – if such a thing exists – and detect another "A" casserole through comparing the magnetic signature.

Am I getting my question through?

Thanks,
Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I know what you mean by magnetic structure, are the objects of interest magnetised? This can be detected in an MRI scanner.

the object you are trying to detect has to have some magnetic properties without them and MRI would be useless.
Magnetic detectors can't detect paper for example and tell if it's different from another paper by color.

Thanks for your answers,
I am thinking about by IndoorAtlas (http://www.indooratlas.com) – they utilise the variations in the Earth's magnetic field to navigate.

The objects all consists of a high percentage of metal. In reply to MikeyW they would have to be magnetised unless one uses a MRI scanner.

The Earth's magnetic field is ubiquitous. If I place a metal object in a spot where I know what the Earth's magnetic field looks like, I'm thinking I should be able to detect the interference made by that object, seeing as metals are affected by magnetic fields.

So theoretically, should I be able to distinguish mass produced casseroles from different brands if I place them in the exact same spot? Or is there no truth to almost identical objects having a "magnetic signature?"

If the different objects have different permeabilities, permittivities, and/or conductivities, then it is possible to distinguish them using an excitation coil and a detector, yes. Whether it's practical to do so depends on how different the signal will be for each distinct object. It's also possible (and practical to varying degrees) to image the inside an object, if you have enough coils/detectors.

Is there any more information you can give about what the target is?

1. What is object detection through magnetic signature?

Object detection through magnetic signature is a method used to identify and locate objects based on their unique magnetic fields. Every object has a distinct magnetic signature that can be detected and analyzed using specialized equipment.

2. How does object detection through magnetic signature work?

This process involves using sensors to measure the magnetic field around an object. The sensors detect any disturbances or anomalies in the field, which can then be used to identify the object and its location.

3. What are the applications of object detection through magnetic signature?

Object detection through magnetic signature has a variety of applications, including security and surveillance, navigation, and industrial inspection. It is also used in archaeology and geology to locate buried objects or structures.

4. What are the advantages of using object detection through magnetic signature?

One major advantage is that it does not require direct contact with the object, making it a non-intrusive method of detection. It is also highly accurate and can detect objects that may be hidden or difficult to see with the naked eye.

5. Are there any limitations to object detection through magnetic signature?

One limitation is that the magnetic field can be affected by external factors such as power lines or other magnetic objects, which can interfere with the accuracy of the detection. Additionally, the size and material of the object can also impact the strength and detectability of its magnetic signature.